Thursday, February 19, 2015

Technology Frustrations...

It seems that this never fails.  When you depend on technology, processes and such go fine, then BOOM!  Something funky happens.  It keeps me thinking that we truly have "Ghosts in the Machine."  Strange creatures that cause mayhem and havoc with our regular lives.

Seriously, it is always something.  For work, a McAfee or Windows Update screws up my VPN access to work.  It is taking a week to get my work laptop fixed.  In the meantime, I have not been able to connect to work from home.  In hindsight, that may not be a bad thing.  However, there are times I need to work from home, so that part does stink.

A few weeks ago, I got the latest Quicken program.  I installed and configured the PC portion, then made sure I had the iPhone app available.  Overall, it has been truly helpful to keep me in line with my spending habits.  That was the main purpose for having the software.  The unfortunate part is that twice I have had the iPhone app completely out of sync with the PC or on-line balance.  It is really weird.

The first time, the iPhone balance showed that I had $1000 less than what my on-line bank balance was showing.  When I investigated this really huge mistakes, I found that it was caused from mismatches between my entries and what was downloaded.  Ugh.  I had to reconcile everything until it matched.

This morning, I woke  up and remembered that I needed to add a transaction to my iPhone app.  The balance showed $-290.00.  That woke me up!  

Again, I researched the issue and it was double transactions again.  Now, this may be just the early start of the program's learning on matching the transactions, but talk about annoying!  The software is supposed to help you with your daily tasks - not cause you an early heart attack.

Here is to hoping these types of frustrations die down soon...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment