Saturday, February 7, 2015

Gotta Take Charge of My Health...

On Thursday night, I went to the Stars game with a couple of friends and my father and his girlfriend.  When I sat in the seat, just that one action reminded me of how lax I have been regarding my health and weight control.  I had such a difficult time just getting in and out of my seat.  In the process, I have a nasty bruise on the inside of my thumb.  Bad enough I have developed a trigger finger issue in my right hand, but now, dealing with this bruise - major ouch.

I sat down and really tried to analyze what it was that I am obviously failing.  For one thing, I have not been properly planning.  I have gotten pretty lazy about that part.  I usually do well if I plan all of my meals.  That way, it is all thought out and no last minute decisions.  

I have been getting food out more than I should.  Now, I have tried to be better at it, especially with the spending fast.  However, the honest point, I failed there.  I just need to quit succumbing to the easy out and remember I need to save money.  I will say this much, I did not charge any of those meals on my credit card, so that is a good.

I have gone over correct portions.  I am not measuring my food as I should.  For example, I made the chicken parmesean with pasta and broccoli dish on Monday night.  I got the recipe from Cooking Light.  I did not fix the pasta with their tomato sauce, but used just stewed tomatoes with Italian seasonings.  Not really much of a difference there, but I over did it with the pasta itself.  I had more pasta than anything else and it should have been more broccoli, a little pasta, and the chicken.  I got carried away - damn my addiction to breads and pastas.

The other thing that is missing - exercise.  Now, here is where I am going to moan and groan a bit.  Every morning, when I get up, I have to walk the dogs.  There are no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about the matter.  You have to do it - it is non-negotiable or you get the fiercest telling off by a dog ever!  The part I hate and it may be the bed or how I sleep, but I get up and my glutes and quads are like a really squeaky wheel.  Those muscles hurt and ache.  It takes a long time to get that pain to stop.  Then, there is the sharp back pain.  All of it is annoying, then I try to get my steps done.  This week, I only had one day where I got 10,000 steps done and that was Tuesday.

To make matters worse, I feel I am letting down my trainer.  Now, that really bothers me.  So my positive approach to all of this is to start trying to be better today.  If anything, just get the steps done because every little bit will help.  

Lastly, my water consumption goes from good to lack luster.  I need to drink more water, but lately, I have fallen back on drinking diet sodas.  I know that is no good for me.  I have been trying more "sparkling waters" to try to wean myself off of sodas altogether.  I have to keep working at that because I truly believe and know that more water in my system is the key.  It is the key to lowering my blood sugar as well as keeping me full and preventing me from eating too much.  Nothing like feeling bloated to keep  you from eating everything in sight.

So, here is to a week of trying harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment