Thursday, April 3, 2014

Choices...

Every day, there is something that always reminds me of the choices we make and how those choices affect not only ourselves, but others around us.  I realize I may have been a bit harsh on a friend whose son has a drug problem.  However, that whole situation is rather toxic and it is affecting her judgment.  Someone from high school declined an invite to the upcoming reunion.  I was asked why this person chose not to attend the reunion.  I suggested that the person asking send an email to the person who declined.

I thought about that for a bit and wondered about those people who have never attended a reunion.  For myself, I have been to many of the reunions.  I wondered why I even go - most of my memories of high school were not that great.  I could not wait to graduate and head into college where it did not matter what you looked like, what clothes you wore, or any of that nonsense.  You were there to learn and you socialized with like-minded people.  Well, at least for me, that was how it worked.

I never joined a sorority or became a fraternity little sister.  I was not into that.  I just enjoyed going to class and hanging out with people.  My fondest memories revolve around my computer and mathematics courses.  In those instances, a group of us would get together to study and help one another.  In the end, it was impossible to not make friends.  I always loved my differential equations course.  My classmates were wonderfully funny, bright, and smart.  We always sat at the same table at the student union building and checked our homework together by discussing how we arrived at our answers.  If there was ever a time where I felt part of a group, it was at that time in my life.

So, I have digressed.  Back to the reunion choice.

Many people choose not to go to reunions because they are haunted by the ill-wills that were done to them during those years.  Another reason, dateless throughout those years?  For me, I have learned to let the past go.  We are all different people - or at least, we all should be at this age.  I attend the reunion to see those faces that I have lost touch over the years.  I just want to know that they are alive and all is well.  As for the bad memories, well, I admit, there are some people I would prefer not to see, but it is what it is.  I deal with it and if those people want nothing to do with me - I am good with that because in the end, they are not a permanent part of my life.

For those of you who choose not to go to reunions because you do not want to face the past, that is cool and I get it.  However, the one thing you miss is seeing those people who you did like and have not seen.  Life is too short to miss out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment