Saturday, April 26, 2014

Where Did Time Go?

It is time to regain my focus and quit playing around and being lazy about it.  I have gained about 5 to 10 lbs.  I am pretty sure I know where I made the mistake.  I just took on way too much for whatever reason.  I was doing great, then tacked on the personal trainer (which I do not regret - I am very happy to have someone to help me do the exercises right), writing course (got behind in doing), and putting too much effort into losing weight. 

While we all need support, the one thing I did not want was to feel that I had the "magic" to make it happen.  I am not perfect and I do succumb to temptation - be it cake, cookies, or candy.  I found that I tended to overload when I was bored or stressed. 

So, considering it is close to the first of the month, it is time to buckle down and start back.  Just like earlier this year, I am writing down what I put in my mouth.  The food journal does hold me accountable.  Eating out needs to be a special occasion situation.  It is so darn difficult trying to sort out the calorie counts for eating out.  I do know the big chains have put a lot of effort into putting their nutritional information out there and I appreciate it more than you will ever know.  However, some of the places where I go to eat, it is difficult to put together what makes up the calories. 

Take last night for example.  I went to Fish City Grill for dinner.  I had some fried calamari.  At this place, the calamari is not heavily breaded.  So, the calorie count should be a tad lower for that appetizer.  Next, the main meal was panko crusted tilapia and shrimp with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.  It is difficult to determine what all is in the panko crust.  Mashed potatotes - I can generally guess and asparagus - well not much to that.

I have learned from all of this some valuable things.  Normally, I would do without potatoes, but it is okay to have some.  Whether you have diabetes or not, your body needs some carbs.  I just have to make sure it works for the entire meal.  As mentioned in earlier posts, the important piece is thinking about the plate being divided up into 3 sections.  The largest section, half the plate, for non-starchy veggies.  The next quarter should consist of protein, and the last quarter should have starchy veggies or grains.

I also think I allowed too many people to fill my mind with what worked for them.  That is great if that worked for them.  However, everyone's body and system is different.  I believe in being able to drink a gallon of water a day.  I also believe that when I drink a lot of diet sodas, I tend to eat more and such.  Water does help with hydration and flushing out fat and etc. 

Therefore, I am going to go back to what I was doing originally.  Cutting out diet sodas to a very minimal; drinking lots of water; counting calories and making sure that my carb intake is good.  Do some sort of exercise for 30 to 45 minutes a day.  If I do strength training, then make sure to walk (or walk in place) at some point during the day.  It will all help.

Maybe this go around, I can drop another 40 lbs.

This week, I begin my 2 weeks of doing the Glucerna shakes.  I am going to work to make sure I have some healthy, filling snacks for between meals and work on eating more veggies for meals.  I may start this week with having a lot of salads.  That may help me in more ways than one because I have not really been enjoying any of my dinners lately.  Even with Easter dinner, I was getting sick of the meal before I was finished.  Something about the food just does not make me feel satisfied.  Therefore, go back to basics - eat more veggies and work in a few vegetarian meals to shake up the senses.

God's Message to Me:

shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow.

There is no need for you to go it alone. There are people who love you, and who are ready to give you much needed support. There are even more, - way more than you can possibly imagine, people who CAN love you if you give them a chance. Make 'share joy, half the sorrow' your motto for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment