Friday, October 10, 2014

My 30th High School Reunion...

I have started this entry, oh, I have no idea how many times.  Nothing ever seemed to flow just right.  I loved reading RandomCathy's blog entry regarding our high school reunion.  I must say, I am very glad she agreed to not only attend the reunion, but also share a room at the hotel with me.  I would love to take a trip down to NOLA with her to see the sights again, if she could stand my company.  I cannot wait to go back there for the food, drink, and sights.

Most of this year was spent putting in a lot of time and energy into making this reunion one to remember.  I feel that no one's time was wasted; it turned out to be spectacular as we had all hoped.  Those classmates that attended had a great time and I got nothing but wonderful remarks and thanks for putting in so much effort.  For me, I do not feel I did enough, but I tried to be there and do what I could.  Posting and trying to pull people together was not just me, but committee members trying to contact people who were not on Facebook.  So, I was not the lone wolf there - it was a group effort.

The venue was perfect and really nice.  The food was really good, but I spent more time talking to classmates than eating.  Isn't that the way it should be, though?

I really congratulate my crafty, innovated classmates for their decorating ideas.  The picture frame one committee member created was a HUGE hit.  It was a black frame with white sparkly letters indicating the high school and reunion and the numbers were in purple with a silver highlight around to make the numbers pop.  Perfection!  Classmates would hold the picture frame and stand behind it while someone else would take a picture.  Sort of like a picture of a picture.  Classic stuff.

The other really cute addition was the candy with a classmate's picture and name taped around the small bar.  I found classmates digging through to get their own candy to take with them.

The table settings were perfect.  Texas wildflowers sticking out of cowboy boots.  The cowboy boots sit on top of a shoe box with purple satin covering the box.  Small purple tea lights added the right ambiance.  Also, a new large banner with the mascot on it to represent our class reunion and future reunions was outstanding.

Of course, there was the candy bar - a table with all sorts of different kinds of candy.  Memorabilia table with various year books, past reunion pictures, t-shirts, old football jerseys, and etc.  I found a lot of classmates going through the past by reviewing the yearbooks.

Another committee member put together a memorial table for those classmates that were no longer with us.  It was tastefully done and brought a somber, reflective moment to my mind.  I know as the years go by, that list will grow.  It makes me sad to think about it, but that is life.

The committee members handling the emcee work were fabulous!  Great chemistry and made people laugh.  Then, again, watching both men crack jokes and be funny outside of this event is always great.

Overall, the reunion was a blast.  Classmates were able to reconnect and talk.  I think the major complaint was that there was not enough time, even with the "after party."  I tried to contact as many classmates that night, but did not get enough pictures.  I feel badly about it, but something I want to make sure I do during this time between reunions.  Should I run into any classmates, get my picture with them or get their picture.

The Friday before the reunion, Random Cathy and I met with two other committee members to get mani/pedis.  I was quite happy with the results and it helped me feel better about myself before heading for dinner with most of the committee at Reata.  The food was great and you definitely got enough food for the price!  After dinner, there was Jenga with everyone at a sports bar.  I think Random Cathy and I were up WAY past both of our bedtimes both nights, but I do not regret it.  I had a lot of fun!

If you are considering not attending your reunion, go.  As the years go by, you never know who may be crossing over to that next plane.  Try to stay in touch, especially with those you feel a close connection.  At this stage of our lives, it is becoming more important to know we are still there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment