Saturday, October 11, 2014

When You Disagree With Someone Else's Actions...

When I joined a Facebook group regarding Diabetes, I was drawn to the young woman running it.  She is a truly amazing person.  However, I am beginning to have my doubts about the actions of her page followers.

One person posted that he was upset that his friends were not taking his type 1 seriously.  It would take a long time to get anything to eat and in the end, they all got pizza.  In order to prove to his friends how dangerous it was for him not to eat at a timely interval, he gave them a dose of insulin, which would lower all of their blood sugars so that they could experience the low.

His friends felt the side effects and as he claimed, now understood how important it was for him to eat at a regular interval.

For me, I found this highly foolish.  I realize that there is a huge age difference between this person and myself.  I would never do that to one of my friends, even if they asked.  It is highly unsafe, no matter whether my friend's system could handle it or not.  That is not the point.

I understand this young man's situation.  However, the difference is that it is my responsibility to make sure I have something with me or find something to eat when I need to eat.  I had a similar situation last weekend.  I have type 2 vs this person with type 1 diabetes.  My blood sugar has been high for the past week or two.  However, I know when I am starting to dip and it does not feel good.  Rather than run right into the nail salon, I went over to the deli and grabbed a sandwich.  Not a great choice, but one that I could manage quickly.

Either you start carrying snacks to hold you over when the situation deems it or get something to eat right at that point.  You have to take care of yourself and never depend on anyone to do it for you.  I appreciate those friends who take my disease into consideration, but in the end, I make the choices.  It is not up to my friends to live my life for me.  I try to help my vegetarian/vegan friends find places where they can eat the foods that they like, but I won't suggest what they should eat.  Lord knows, I hated it when people said "You can have a salad.  That has no carbs."  Yeah, think again.  

While I love what the admin for this page is trying to do, I am starting to contemplate staying on that page.  I won't be dramatic and make some huge statement.  I will just leave and move along.  She is a good person and just because a group of people act foolishly is not a reflection on her.  It is just sad that some people act like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment