Sunday, October 19, 2014

Should We Apply Religious Beliefs to Our Eating Habits...

One day, I was discussing food choices with someone who is also diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  At one point in the discussion, this sentence was tossed out:

Satan makes bad foods taste good.

I realize that this person is very religious.  I have no issues with that.  Everyone has their beliefs.  However, is it really a good idea to apply that to your eating habits?

In every article I read regarding weight-loss, many articles stress the point of not feeling guilty when you fall off the wagon or eat something that you normally would not.  The idea behind that is if you beat yourself up, you run the risk of going into that vicious circle where you end up just stopping from eating healthy altogether.

I found that part of the conversation very disturbing.  I realize that the serpent tempted Eve with the apple, then Eve tempted Adam with the apple from the forbidden tree.  It is just unfortunate it was associated with food, especially a fruit that is good for you to eat to boot!   Probably would have made better sense if the forbidden food had been the triple heart attack hamburger, but that was not known at that time.

I have a feeling that someone is going to call blasphemy on me for that last sentence, but come on!  An apple?!  What is the old saying - An apple a day will keep the doctor away?  I think the real point is God designated one tree, which had delicious apples, that Adam and Eve were not supposed to have.  The moral is about temptation, not food.

Yes, there are tons of so-called "bad" foods out there.  However, I do not think that God or Satan had anything to do with that.  The food tastes great, but incredibly loaded with things that are bad for people health wise.  I do not apply religious references in regard to food.  For me, it makes no sense.  If I eat something I normally would not, such as a piece of cheesecake or a cookie, I try to make that a "treat" and have them sparingly.  Basically, get that craving out of my system and move along. 

Such conversations make me smile and laugh.  However, sometimes, I have to stop and think about it a bit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment