Saturday, September 12, 2015

One of My Favorite Tech Toys...

As I sit here writing this, I am listening to Tycho on my Logitech Squeezebox Touch.  The device connects to an account on the internet as well as to a server running on my laptop.  I realized today how much I use this device to listen to local radio stations and my own music.  This has to be the best buy I ever made - well, that and the squeezebox clock/radio that got me started with internet radio.

I used my mom's old Sony boom box for many years to listen to various radio stations and CDs.  When I started listening to The Ticket, the radio station would have a lot of issues trying to receive the station.  It was annoying and I really enjoyed the background noise.

As much as I love Apple's iPod products, I do not want to wear headphones all of the time.  However, when the boom box radio just was unable to pick up the stations I wanted to hear, it was frustrating.  The speakers on the laptop just were not cutting it with sound.

After my mother passed away, I started looking for a clock/radio that would charge my iPod and maybe I could listen to my music off the iPod.  In the process, I was looking for a new mouse/keyboard combination for home and work.  While checking out the Logitech website, I came across the Logitech Squeezebox clock/radio.  

Granted, it was not going to help charge my iPod, but at the time, I had also gotten a Bose speaker to hook up the iPods.  But, that simply acts like a speaker with excellent output.  However, I was completely intrigued with the Squeezebox.  It would connect to the internet, so that I could stream a multitude of radio stations.  I got it and instantly fell in love with it.  It was an amazing clock/radio for me.  I was able to lie in bed and listen to BBC programs or pick up whatever podcast I had subscribed.

When the Squeezebox Touch became available, I got it.  I have to admit, it was the best money I ever spent as I used every day.  When it is off, I can see the time.  The device connects to the server running on my laptop and pulls my music and podcasts.  If there is an issue with the laptop, I can still listen to streaming stations by connecting directly via the internet.

 Unfortunately, Logitech has stopped that product line.  I guess it did not take off as well as one would hope.  However, I still enjoy the two product I have.  Sometimes, you nail it and other times, you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment