Friday, September 11, 2015

Physically - A Rough Week...

On Tuesday, I contacted my PCP to see about my knee.  I decided to work from home, so that I could continue icing my knee and be closer to the bathroom.  At work, it is quite a hike to make it to the bathroom.

It would seem that I have a small tear in the cartilage within the knee.  Rather than send me to an orthopedic, my doctor has decided that physical therapy would probably help.  Now, some of you are thinking "Why?"  Well, I would rather try this for the following reasons:
  • My apartment has a stair case - that would be heck trying to get up and down that
  • The dogs - they have their needs.
So, I would rather go through PT and rehab the knee than be incapacitated due to surgery.  I do not need that other headache.

For the most part, my knee is starting to stabilize, but it is also still weak.  I went to my regular PT session on Thursday and did pretty much all of the normal exercises, including the one where I stand on one leg for 30 seconds.  My left leg was pretty strong, but my right leg was more of an issue due to the knee problem.  

The funny thing - I had some back problems, but not as I had before the knee problem took place.  Today, however, the back issues returned, but I think I may be able to work out those issues.

If anything, I got so little sleep because my knee was constantly hurting.  On Wednesday, I called the doctor's office to get something for my knee.  Tylenol Extra Strength was not cutting it on the pain control.  Last night, I got some Tylenol with codeine.  I had the best night's sleep in I do not know how long!  It has definitely made a huge difference in dealing with this mess.

I am so thankful to the doctor for the prescription.  I have not taken any more since last night, so that is good.  

Next week, the physical therapist will do an evaluation on my knee and we will work out a plan to rehab both the back and the knee at the same time.  I hope to be back to normal, so that I can walk and get the weight off this frame.  Also, I am going to try to go to YMCA to rid the bike there.  It was a little difficult to pedal yesterday, but I just need to build on it.

I will say this - I am thankful to be able to still walk.  I am also thankful for the cooler weather.  It makes me feel so good to walk in the beautiful, cooler weather.  I know I will get through this - it will just take time and I need patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment