Friday, September 11, 2015

School Time and Kids...

Yes, folks, it is that time of the year - School.  

Every morning, I walk the dogs, I see things that blow my mind.  Sometimes, it makes sense why kids today think that they can do whatever they want.  Their parents allow that behavior - on a consistent basis.

My apartment complex is directly across the street of an elementary school.  Around 7:15-7:30 AM, parents and children make the trek over to the school.  Scooters are such a huge thing, so there are so many of these kids running about with their scooters and not paying attention to traffic.  Occasionally, they will stop at the top of the hill and look both ways, until they take off down the hill, then they have no control.  The mothers/fathers will just watch them speed on by and say nothing.

First, just because there is no oncoming traffic either way, there are cars attempting to leave their parking spaces.  Second, if the parent is going to walk their child to school, carrying their backpacks and lunches, the kids need to walk with the parent.  I know I would be annoyed if I had to carry my child's stuff to school, then carry back the scooter.  

Here is where "old, archaic" me comes out and says "When I was a young child, I had to carry my books and such with me back and forth to school.  My mom did not walk me to school."

(Honestly, my father would drive me to school or I would walk, depending on how late I was running.  My mom would sometimes pick me up.  Most of the time, I walked home.)

At one point, I used to ride my bike to school.  The street was pretty busy, but I always made it to school.  I quit riding the bike when a group of boys older than me stole my bike.  The bike was returned, but it was the thought that they would steal my precious bike.

Still, my parents did not follow me to school and carry back whatever got me to school.  Also, I had to carry my own books and such.

I cringe every time I see such acts of stupidity while walking the dogs.  I cannot bear the horrific thought of seeing one of those kids getting hit or worse, killed, because the parent cannot get their child to mind.

I have to admit, a lot of that stupidity happens outside of school as well.  I do not understand the thought process of ignoring what is happening.  The other day, while walking the dogs after work, a group of little girls were playing and one got hurt somehow.  All the while, there are two mothers sitting at the picnic table, chit-chatting.  

Now, keep in mind, I am hobbling around due to my current knee issue.  Once I got past their little group, I have NO idea why, I have this train of little girls, on either bikes, tricycles, and scooters right behind me, pushing me to get out of their way.  In fact, I got "Excuse me, but can you get out of my way?"

I looked at the mothers, then the kids and said "No.  I am a pedestrian and I have right of way."  I refused to try to reason with kids in the sense of I was already walking in this direction and just because they decide to get right behind me is not going to work.  They had other areas to go ride their bikes and such.  The kids just do not get it.  However, I am considered the mean, old lady.  Yeah, well, so be it.

I am generally nice to polite kids.  The ones that calmly come up to me and ask if they can pet the dogs.  The ones I really cannot stand are the ones that run full blast screaming to pet the dogs or the ones that feel that they are entitled to pet the dogs no matter what.  It really angers me, but what can I do?  I try to be nice about the situation, but being nice does not cut it.  The parents do nothing, thinking that I should bow down and allow all of it to happen.  They do not have to pay the vet bills - I DO!

I just do not get why kids today get away with thinking that they are allowed to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment