Saturday, October 17, 2015

Despise Infomercials...

Everyone is looking for a quick fix or something that is the "sure thing."  I really despise the "infomercial" industry.  While checking on the health status of Lamar Odom, (granted, not fond of how he acted while being a Dallas Maverick, I hate to see someone fall so hard and my hope was that he would wake and turn his life around - we will see) I saw something about telling people about the 5 foods one should not eat.

I figured, let's see.  Rather than be upfront with the information, I have to sit through sales pitch lure after sales pitch lure.  When that happens, I simply turn it off.  If one is not able to get to the point within 2 minutes, I no longer care.  You are simply wasting my time.

There was a time when I used to stay up at night and watched infomercials.  In the 90's, there was one for a make-up company.  I joined to get the package.  I tried it at the wrong time, unfortunately - right before a job interview at the university.  I looked all pastie and nasty.  I could not wait to remove all of the make up, but I do not blame that for my not getting the job.  However, I did end up tossing the whole lot.  It just did not work for me.

Since that time, I hold very little weight on products like that.  I think the only time I have seen Cutco knives on TV would be on QVC or some product selling show like that.  My mom had the knives before they were even sold on TV, so I know the product line well.  Great, but very expensive knives.  However, they come with a lifetime guarantee - no charge sharpening (they will come out to your house), if a knife is damaged, send it back and get another one for free, dishwasher safe, and so forth.  In all seriousness, the best damn knives ever.

I do try a lot of different products.  As of late, I have been rather lax on being consistent on that aspect.  I had bought some Laura Mercier facial products to reduce wrinkles and such, but have not been consistent on wearing it.  I blame the Texas heat - I will end up melting off any creams and what have you during the summer.  Not pretty.

I will probably look at what I have and throw out what has expired at this point.  I have a very bad tendency to take on too much and overwhelm myself.  I am trying to be better about that.  Also, I am trying to curb my shopping tendencies.  A friend of mine pointed out that my going back to a handbag she liked was a great idea.  I explained that I tried getting new purses, but they just were not working out for me.  My best friend got about three that I bought, but in the end, they just did not work out for me.  She loves them, so someone is getting good use out of the purses.

So, for those of you wondering which 90's infomercial I fell for - Victoria Jackson.  Oddly enough, she is still selling that stuff on the internet.  I won't be doing that, but YouTube has those old 90's infomericals out there to watch.  LOL

3 comments:

  1. I am SUCH a sucker for infomercials. Seriously. Cannot watch them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SUCH a sucker for infomercials. Seriously. Cannot watch them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was until I tried the Victoria Jackson cosmetics. It changed nothing in my opinion and only made it worse. At that point, I quit getting such items. Now, I did get the Julep nail polish and goodies off the internet. That has been pretty cool, but I have MORE than enough nail polish. Which reminds me, I am in dire need of a mani/pedi. LOL

      Delete