Thursday, October 8, 2015

Yay! Hockey Season Begins!

Today is completely a total sports day for me.  This afternoon, I will watch the Texas Rangers play against the Toronto Blue Jays.  Tonight, watch the Dallas Stars play the Pittsburg Penguins - HOCKEY SEASON IS BACK!!!!

This is the true sign of cooler weather to me.  I am a bit sad that I won't be at the arena this year for opening day.  However, I remind myself that I am making the right decision.  I can enjoy watching the game at home, on my sofa with the dog pack.  Still, there was always something so exciting about getting on DART and riding to the arena, walking around the concourse to get my steps, then heading to my seat to enjoy a fast-paced game of hockey.

I do not have one favorite player and I feel that is good.  I love the whole team.  Granted, there may be some skeletons in the closet for some of those players, but from my view, I could not be prouder of a great group of men.  When I saw how wonderful the team was with the kids and down to earth each member was to a fan, it was humbling for me.  I thought - Wow - these guys are pretty great at what they do and no prima donnas.  That was amazing.

I used to dislike Ovechkin on the Washington team.  Then, when he went on a date with a special needs teenager, then remained her friend, I was taken back.  Someone who was so full of himself was showing a kinder side.  In fact, I thought maybe he was a bit pompous during the all-star game wanting to be last to be picked, so he could get the new car.  When I found out it was to be a donation for the charity for the girl, I was pretty impressed.  He was doing what he could to help those people.

So, this year, I won't have season tickets, but I do plan to attend a few games this season.  I love hockey and nothing is more fun than attending a game.  I will miss the familiarity I had with everyone around me, but I will still enjoy the game.

Hoping to see the Stars make the playoffs this year - they can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment