Friday, October 2, 2015

Interesting Food Thought...

So much is said about avoiding eating "white" foods, such as rice, bread, flour, and etc.  You should eat "brown" foods such as brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour, and etc as the replacements.  I really have no issue with that and do not mind it.  However, something interesting came to my mind this morning.

I had been getting salads and such from one of those deli places where they make their own bread.  There was a multi-grain bread there that was "brown" and contained 15 different kinds of seeds.  Believe me, I thought - Wow - this stuff is the bomb!  It tasted great!

The unfortunate part - that bread spiked my blood sugar beyond belief.  I was shocked.  I ended up having to give the rest of the loaf to a friend, whose family enjoyed it as much as I had.  

Usually, I eat Sara Lee's 45 and Delightful multigrain bread.  It has proven its worth for me.  Ninety calories for 2 slices and my blood sugar hardly spikes.  So, what is the deal?

The more I thought about it, the ingredients that are added to the bread can cause the "brown"-ing.  Meaning, if the bread is made with dark corn syrup or brown sugar, it will be a "brown" bread.  How misleading if you are not careful.  More unfortunate, the bread contained no nutritional information on it, so I had no idea of what the ingredients were or even the carb count.

My takeaway - just because it says "Multi-Grain" or "Whole Wheat", businesses use those buzz words to attract people into thinking they are getting a healthy product.  You always have to be on your toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment