Saturday, January 30, 2016

Busy, Busy Week...

So much went on this week, that the week really blew past me.  However, I am happy that it is the weekend.  My brain is tired.

Saw the endo on Monday.  Nothing astonishingly new there.  My A1C went up from 7.4 to 7.9.  I will live with that.  According to their scales, I lost about 4 lbs.  According to FitBit Aria, I lost more than that, but I won't argue - a loss is a loss and one I will gladly take.

My morning blood sugars are not showing much change, so the doctor feels it will be okay for me to go back to taking Toujeo in the morning with the rest of my medications.  Thank goodness for that!  I am horrible about falling asleep at night and missing taking my meds.

Tomorrow begins the 24 hour pee collection.  When Toni & Guy called to say that Nikki would not be available to cut my hair this Sunday, I was actually relieved.  My plan is to not go out anywhere, so that if I have to pee, I will be home to take care of that.

My manager gave me a favorable review.  He is pleased with my work and how I am picking up on issues.  Yesterday, the company finally provided what the bonus amount would be this year.  I almost cried - finally - I might be able to see light at the end of the tunnel.  I already know how I am going to budget that money and the dogs' vet funds will be replenished.

I also managed to get my taxes filed this week.  Very fortunate to get that done because Chloe's recheck is coming up and I need the money for that.  It is never cheap getting her check-ups, but she is an older doggie and that is just how it goes.  I am older and have noticed that I am seeing the doctor a lot more and it is costing me just as much.

Last night, my joints and so forth hurt so badly that I finally bit the bullet and took two tramadol and a flexoril for relief.  This morning, I find myself falling asleep and feeling pretty hung over.  I got over 6 hours of sleep, but wow - I may end up back in bed.  I hope that before I do that, I get the dishes washed and a load of laundry started.

On Tuesday evening, I attended the memorial service for the classmate that passed away.  Some of us always want to know how these events are.  I broke that habit of asking "How was the funeral?" when I asked this guy in band about a guy who had recently passed away.  The response "What do you think it was?  A party?  A good friend died - what are  you thinking?"  I was 15 at the time and felt horrible about it.  The guy responding apologized to me and said he understood I meant no harm.  I just learned never to ask about those types of services in that manner.

In any case, it was really a beautiful tribute to the man.  If you went to Crowley High School in the early to mid-80's, you knew this man.  He was a legend with a huge heart.  I learned this 30+ years later, when we would reconnect on Facebook.  

His mother was there and she was in such great spirits.  Granted, she is losing her memory and such, but I felt so much sadness for her.  I had wished that we were not having this service for him.  I had wished he was still alive for his mother, but God had other plans.  

So many people talked about how they were able to reach out to this man and he was always there for them.  He gave so much of himself to others.  In some cases, I think he got taken advantage by some people and that left him with little in the bank.  That is probably why I am very careful about giving money.  I mean - when I give money, I know to give it with no expectation of getting it back.  You have to do that because money is evil - it causes so much trouble.  If I want to help someone, I will give them money and refuse a payback.  It is just not worth the effort.  

So, today, I will muster what energy I can gather to run some errands this morning.  Mainly, pickup some produce from Sprouts, then get some shrimp from Kroger.  I am determined - i WILL MAKE GUMBO TONIGHT!  I have been craving some gumbo, but I want the gumbo my mom would make.  I had fish on Thursday night at The Fish Shack and a friend had the gumbo.  She wanted my opinion of the gumbo and I said I had not tried it there.

Truth:  I never eat gumbo from anyone else.  It is never what I expect or want.  It does not even measure up to what I am used to eating.  So, I am pretty stoked to make this.

Time to get the day started.  I really love my Keurig.  Seriously.  I am able to fix coffee and it always tastes good and I have cut down on my Starbucks trips.  I still like Starbucks, but making my own coffee saves me a lot of money.  I just wish I had the knack down for making an omelette.  What I make usually ends up becoming scrambled egg surprise.  Oh, well, it may not look pretty, but it is pretty darn tasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment