Sunday, January 31, 2016

Pivotal Movie for New Wave/Punk...

Over 30 years ago, I watched the movie documentary, Urgh! A Music War on cable.  I watched primarily because I was a huge Police fan and there were two live footages of the band performing.  However, my life was transformed from being a "pop tart" to loving alternative music.

I saw performances from the Go-Go's, XTC, Gary Numan, The Police, and Devo.  However, I was introduced to amazing performances by bands such as, Steel Pulse, The Members, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Magazine, Toyah Wilcox, 999, Klaus Nomi, and so many others.  I was so into the documentary, I got the 2 vinyl albums for the soundtrack and wore out both of them.

These bands were young and many were just on the verge of making it big.  It was where I first saw Oingo Boingo perform "This is the Life".  I love that song above all of their more popular songs.  Quirky and unique in all of their performances.  

Klaus Nomi's performance had me spell bound.  Sure, he was quirky in his outfit, but his voice was amazing.  It was the total show and many were entertained.

I was reminded of the movie tonight with someone posting 999's video of "Homicide."  Miles Copeland owned I.R.S records and was the man in charge of putting the documentary together.  However, over the years, the movie and the soundtracks have been rather lost from re-release.  It is pretty sad because ultimately, it should be consider the seminal documentary on the new wave/punk scene.  The documentary was not covered with any narration - the bands' performances were simply just that stunning.  Nothing could ever explain any of that appropriately.

I really wish that the powers that be would re-release this movie on DVD.  It is the one DVD I would buy and keep.  It is just that powerful.  

Seeing that post has renewed my goal:  Get the complete track list and put together all of the songs that were performed on the movie.  I have over the years been able to get Alley Cats - "Nothing Means Nothing".  I have Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge", Toyah Wilcox "Dance!", and of course, The Police, Go-Gos, Gary Numan, and XTC.  I love to play XTC's "Respectable Street" when I am feeling incredibly rebellious.  That song and Wall of VooDoo's "Back in Flesh".  I played that song for my mom.  She was not too particularly pleased about it and told me that I could only play that with the headphones on.  I think the part about "Well, screw you!" had something to do with that.

If you ever get a chance to catch this movie on late night cable, do yourself the favor - watch it.  It is really amazing.

In the meantime, I think I will ask Netflicks for the possibility of getting that movie streamed.  That would be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment