Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie: January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016

I was lying in bed listening to The Ticket this morning when I heard the sad news.  At first, I thought I heard the radio hosts wrong.  I checked the news on the web and sadly enough, it was true.  David Bowie passed away today.

When it was stated that he died of cancer, I felt the bottom drop.  He had battled for 18 months and I remembered my own mother's 18 month battle.  David was only a year younger than my own mother and that really shocked me.  

As I walked my dogs, I began to reflect upon my love for David Bowie's work.  I remember hearing "Ziggy Stardust" back in the early 70s.  Being notorious for watching all sorts of music shows on late night TV, I remember one show playing one of his entire concerts as he was playing "Ziggy".  I was mesmerized.

Throughout the years, as I was growing up, he would alter his persona - "Fame", "Golden Years", "Young Americans", and many others.  During my high school years, "Ashes to Ashes", "Under Pressure" with Queen, "China Girl"., "Let's Dance", and many others.  

I followed his career, but never once got to see him perform live.  Most of the time, it was because the tickets were sold out before I even got to get one.  

When he released "Day After" album, I knew he was not going to tour.  I had remembered when he had the heart attack during one of his tours.  After that, he scaled back and I accepted that.  He needed to take care of himself.  However, I still held out hope that he might perform on TV on some channel.  I remembered when he performed for the BBC and it was televised.  I want to say he was taking requests and he showed the host the HUGE binder that contained his catalog of lyrics.  He made the comment that he had to have a larger print as he could not see smaller print without glasses.  I could sympathize with that.

Today, the music world lost a true legend.  There is no doubt of that in my mind.  He was part of the soundtrack of my life.  

Rest in Peace, David Bowie!

No comments:

Post a Comment