Sunday, May 1, 2016

Support Systems...

A few days ago, someone I know from high school posted news that worried him regarding his diabetes.  When I talked with him, his A1C was 9.8.  He was scared and I knew why.  Earlier this year, a mutual friend passed away.  He had liver issues and his diabetes was out of control.  I have no idea of what this friend's A1C was, but when he passed away, I freaked out.  I knew that this had to be part of this person's fear.

I remembered that for days I had prayed that our mutual friend would get through this -  hoping the friend would get well enough to get out of the hospital.  I wanted to help, but in the end, his body took a turn for the worse and he was gone.  I remember crying because I felt I could have done more for him.

So, when my friend told me his A1C was 9.8, the first thing I told him was "Don't freak."  It was something that my mother told me.  My first day at diabetes education, I learned how to properly measure my blood sugar.  That day, my blood sugar was 330 in the morning.  The nurse asked me if I had already spoken to my doctor about this.  I suppose I had since my doctor referred me to the diabetes education course and started me on metformin.  However, having the nurse say that to me unnerved me.

It scared me to the point was worrying and crying.  I went home and started talking to my mother.  She told me to calm down and remember:  If it is really bad, they will put you into the hospital.  Part of having high blood sugar is stress.  Of course, you will have stress when someone freaks you out.

So, I went on to tell this friend about my highest A1C.  It was 13.2.  That is right - my daily blood sugar was ranging between 250-400.  My first day at Diabetes America, they took my blood sugar and A1C.  The educator was freaking out about my blood sugar being 454.  I simply sat calmly as she was running all about making a huge deal.  Finally, she started trying to get me upset by badgering me about why I was not upset over the number.  I looked her straight in the eye and said "I know my blood sugar is high.  I am here to get help.  I thought that was what you were supposed to do - help me and I would remain calm."

That put the woman in a different place.  I looked up to the heavens and thanked my mother for her words that always calm me.  "It will be okay."  "Just be calm and relax."  So, I reminded my friend that while an A1C of 9.8 seems really horrible, he needs to look at it as a starting point.  Now, he can start adjusting his diet, activity, and even the meds.  He needs to work with an endocrinologist to help him with the medications.

I made the effort to reach out to this friend not because I was nosy.  I did it because I knew he was freaking out for the same reason I was freaking out.  Someone we both knew - he closer than me - died of this disease.  I feel comfortable being this person support. Mainly because he is not going to ask me to teach him.  He and I both know what we are to do and understand the myths vs the truth.  I know he has taken the education courses and he is not going to act like an authority of knowledge.  We are both struggling, but for me, it is easier to help when people are both on the same level.

For me, it is one thing to be supportive of someone who has the same disease as me.  It is good to know these people and share in their trials and tribulations because you do not feel alone.  However, I am not really good with teaching someone who feels that they know more than me or points out areas that are truly myths and not the truth.

I am making the efforts to learn as much as I can about managing my disease and am pretty open to hearing different ideas.  However, I believe that it is my responsibility to make sure I eat properly - not the wait staff or someone else - me.

No comments:

Post a Comment