Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Horribly sad ending of the day...

I scheduled Bo and Chloe for a vet visit today.  Chloe was due for her annual shots, Bo needed his bordetella (sp?), and both needed a bath and groom.  So both were shipped off to the vet's office at 8:30 AM. 

I got cleaned up, dropped off a present for my co-worker at work, then headed back north to get another Christmas present.  While I was thinking about Christmas, I thought it would be nice to give the vet's office some goodies.  The vet and his staff have been really wonderful with working with me and taking such good care with the dogs.

I picked up some cookies, cake balls, and "bundtinis" to drop off.  As I was heading in the direction back to my apartment, the vet's office called to let me know that Bo and Chloe were ready.

Once I got there, I brought in the goodies and the vet was quite surprised.  While talking about how our dogs get  particular on their bed time schedules and how they let us know "it's time to go to bed", the vet stopped and said "we have an emergency."

I turned to see who was coming in the front door.  There was woman in her 30's helping a crying teenager carrying her dog.  The poor dog had blood and foam coming from its mouth.  A younger child was coming in as well.  The teenager was becoming more and more hysterical, which only made sense to me.  The young girl seemed rather unaffected.

The woman had seen the two girls carrying the dog, so she stopped to get them to the vet's office.  Something had happened at the playground, but I never found out what happened exactly to the dog.  The girls' mother was nowhere to be found.  The woman left her number and asked to be called for an update on the dog, but she had to leave.

During all of this, one of the techs brought out Bo and Chloe.  As I was trying to get hold of them, he started to apologize for my having seen the poor dog.  I told him he never had to apologize to me.  It is a vet's office - people bring in their sick or injured dogs.  It was not the first time and probably won't be the last time something like that would happen.  I understood.

I took Bo and Chloe back to the car, then went back in to pay the bill.  The receptionist was visibly upset and having a difficult time getting the young girl to talk.  Maybe it was just something I don't get, but the little girl seemed so unaffected.  The receptionist had gotten enough information from the young girl to call their mother, but the young girl had no clue as to how long it would take for her to get to the vet's office.  I offered to stay and even pay for any services.  I was concerned for the injured dog.  I offered to stay with the girl so that she would not be alone.

I had brought Bo and Chloe back into the office.  Bo and Chloe tried to play with the little girl, but she wanted nothing to do with them.  So, I got my dogs to settle down and just wait.

The same tech came back out and helped me get Bo and Chloe back to the car.  He walked me out to the car and quietly told me that the vet and etc thanked me for offering to pay, but the dog had already passed away.  I felt awful for the teenager.  I had been in that similar position.  You rush your beloved pet to the vet, praying that the vet will produce a miracle, but the vet can't.  My memories of Stormy's death came rushing back to me.

I got Bo and Chloe home.  As I walked the dogs, I cried.  I cried for the teenager who apparently loved the dog.  I cried because the dog could not be saved.  I cried because I knew the pain.  I hugged and loved Bo and Chloe for a long time.  I was very thankful to have both of them.  I know I am on borrowed time with Chloe, but I do cherish every day that I get to spend with her.  Both Bo and Chloe remind me every day about how much they mean to me.  Seeing those happy faces and wagging tails when I come home - I don't need anything else.  When I feel that no one loves me, I remember I do have two little furry friends who love me no matter what.

I pray that the dog's family finds comfort and peace and that the dog is in heaven chasing those squirrels and rabbits to its heart's content.

1 comment: