Sunday, December 9, 2012

Vicious circles...

Yesterday, I thought I was doing well with managing my blood sugar.  I had a salad and a cup of potato soup from Cracker Barrel last night.  Two hours after I ate, my blood sugar was 165.  Two hours later, my blood sugar was 200. I figured I probably needed to get a small protein sandwich, so I fixed a pimento sandwich and went to bed.  (Yes, I did take my meds before going to bed.)

This morning, I woke up sweating, which was odd.  I measured my blood sugar and it was 245.  I thought "WTH!  I haven't even eaten anything in several hours!"  I calmed down, drank some water, and watch the last episode of "Sherlock" Season 1.  When I measured my blood sugar, it was 271.  Good grief!

I decided that it was time to eat some breakfast.  I prepared two hard boiled eggs and some microwave bacon.  I took the NovoLog and the new medication I am supposed to take at breakfast.  I hope that I see a decreasing change in my blood sugar in two hours.  I just find the whole thing upsetting.

Since I went to Fort Worth to visit my parents' home, the dogs got more out of hand with their barking.  I would look outside to see what was going on to cause them to bark so wildly, but not much there.  I decided to go to PetSmart to get a bark collar.  I did not want to do that, but when I take them both on a walk at the apartment complex, both dogs bark at other people and dogs.  It is really annoying.

The saleswoman and dog trainer suggested that I get the Sonic Egg.  The egg detects the loud barking and emits a sound that only the dogs can hear.  I tried it out and it seems to work, but with the other ambient noises, that causes the egg to emit more sound.  Now, Bo is scared to go outside and do his business.  I think I will have to use this as a training tool - when they are out there barking, make sure I tell them "Quiet!" and use the egg to get them to be quiet.  Maybe, if they put together the barking and the noise that they do not like, they will start using their lower bark.

Today's Message from God:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

the world never delivers on its promises.

Make more money and you'll be happier, get a bigger house and you'll feel satisfied, buy fancier clothes and people will admire you - the materialist's mantra. But there is always a bigger house, someone making more money and a new style that makes your expensive wardrobe obsolete. Pursue things that deliver: take care of each other, love one another and believe in God. These are things that deliver, and that's a promise.

Making more money does not make one happier.  I know this.  However, is it wrong to want a house because you live in an apartment?  Wanting to look nicer in clothes rather than drab?  Having more money to solve some of the money issue we incur, like medical issues and the like?  I know that there are lessons to be learned, but sometimes, it makes for such dark times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment