Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lost relationships...

My mother passed away close to 3 years ago.  I still feel her loss every day.  I cry and let it out, then move forward as I know that is what she would want.

The other day, while at my parents home, I found a Christmas card that a friend of hers had sent.  The two of them had lost touch many years ago.  I opened the card and it said "I want to be friends again.  Please, call me" and she had provided various numbers where she could be reached.

I remembered my father telling me that this friend had called and he broke the sad news to her.  Still, that card pained me in many ways.  I know the saying that sometimes friends are in your life for a certain time, then they are out of your life for a reason.  However, this just made my heart so sad. 

I thought about the situation the other day.  This friend will never have the chance to talk to my mom and straighten out whatever caused them to no longer be friends.  It made me think of a friend I have in Germany.  She moved there 6 months after my mother passed away.  I had gotten a Christmas card from her, but could not make out the address.  Finally, thanks to the web, I figured out where she was working and sent an email.  She got my email and responded with her email, home addresses and her phone numbers.  I responded to her email, then waited for a  response.

I never got a response back, so I emailed her last night, then called her today as I was writing this blog.  She was very happy to hear from me.  She had recently had surgery on her hip and was telling me about all of her projects there in Germany.  Sounds like she is "home" there.

Me?  I have a new app on my phone to keep in touch with her better, but will start writing emails each week, no matter what.  I value our friendship and I don't want it to ever be too late.

Today's Message from God:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

you are unique and precious.

When you try to value yourself for being the best in something, you are bound to fail. Even Olympic champions are the best only for a few years. You are precious to God not because there is no one better than you, but because you are a unique creation of mind, body and spirit, - there is no one like you, - and that is exactly what makes you so indescribably precious.

There is some truth to this message.  I heard it on the radio not too long ago as well.  There is always a rise and a fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment