Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Insurance and Health Woes...

I am grateful to have a job that provides me some sort of health insurance.  My company requires that I foot the entire bill of anything until I reach a deductible of $1500.  Luckily, I am single.  Those with families have to foot a much larger deductible.  Small wonder people do not want to head off to the doctor's office unless they are almost on their death bed.  The costs are so steep.

I sit here tonight, perplexed.  I have to take 4 insulin shots a day - one before each meal and one at bedtime.  So, I use a new needle for each injection.  Makes sense, right?  I am trying to prevent infection and such.  The last time I was at the endocrinologist's office, I asked to get additional needles.  The pharmacy has not refilled that order and I am running out of needles from my current prescription.  My current prescription from my GP won't allow me to refill because, according to the insurance company and pharmacy, I am not due a refill until sometime in February.

So, what is my choice?  The needles should not cost that much, so in the morning, I will call the pharmacy to see about purchasing the needles outright.  I realize that my situation right now is a bit tentative for the endocrinologist as she is trying to determine the "right" amount of medication for me.  However, the insurance company constantly throws a monkey wrench because they want a 90-day supply prescription.  So, many times, I end up having to pay full amounts that won't get applied to my deductible.

As I said, I am grateful to have my job and the ability to pay for my medications.  Still, the whole process is very frustrating.  I know I need patience and remind myself that once everything is in a "balance", then this will be okay.  In the meantime, I can certainly understand why this whole process causes people not to want to see the doctor.  It gets pretty expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment