Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year's Resolutions and Health Update...

I really have not spent a lot of time on what my resolutions are for the new year.  I decided to not really make resolutions, but improvement plans.  Why not? 

Improvement Plans for the New Year:

  • Save and curb unnecessary spending
  • Work on paying down current debt
  • Work on portion control
  • Define "ME" time and refuse to allow others to interfere for no reason
  • Continue to learn to "let go"
  • Go out to a movie more than one time a year
  • Enjoy life - find the beauty in everything
On Wednesday, I visited the endocrinologist at Diabetes America.  Everyone was thrilled with the lower numbers.  The dietician checking my blood sugar chart recognized that around Christmas, my numbers were in the 300s.  I explained that the holidays were just crazy and I tried as much as I could to eat properly.  It is difficult when hosts/hostesses layout their buffets and it is mainly chips and dips.  Sure, I could eat the salsa, spinach artichoke, and queso dips, but they just do not work without the chips.  That was difficult on me because my father would bug me as to why I would not eat.  I told him that business about eating the chips and dips was not a good idea for my situation.  At one party, I was lucky as the hostess brought out rolled up ham, deviled eggs, and BBQ cocktail sausages.  I can eat those, but was disappointed that was all I was going to get to eat that night.  When I got home, I pulled out the stuff for a salad, even though the lettuce and such was already rusting, it was the better meal for me.

(Side tangent:  This is something I get aggravated with my father.  He has type 2 diabetes as well, but his blood sugar levels are nowhere near mine.  He can eat whatever he wants and it has no ill effects.  It disgusts me when he starts asking me why I won't eat something.  Hello!  You are not supposed to eat it as well.)

The doctor was very pleased with my results.  She was encouraged that the meds were working, but to make sure that I was getting the full effect of the rapid acting insulin, she increased it to 2 more units.  I was also told that if I knew I was going to be eating something that will raise my blood sugar, take 1 or 2 additional units with the new increase.  She was also surprised I lost 2 lbs.  Heck, even I was surprised I lost 2 lbs.

When the technician measured my blood sugar and pressure, all numbers were actually normal.  Blood sugar was 142 and the blood pressure was slightly elevated 122/86.  Still, the numbers were much better than my initial visit.

At this point, I need to get in 30 to 60 minutes of exercise 3 to 4 times a week.  My shoes are shot, so I have to get some new ones.  My friend, Laurie, wants me to rejoin Curves for their diabetes program.  Part of me wants to do that, but the other part of me says to save my money for right now and use the complex gym.  It makes sense to do that because the apartment complex gym is right here, walking distance, and I do not have to pay extra to use it.  There are 3 treadmills and 3 elliptical machines.  Get new shoes, then get my lazy butt down there and exercise.  If I can make it a habit, then I have done some good for me and my pocket book.

I had a friend call me about using a new app on my iPhone.  It works similarly to Weight Watchers, but uses calories for measuring.  While talking, she made the comment about how she spends more time on the exercise equipment now in order to burn off more calories.  I thought about that for a moment.  I remember reading where just because you spend more time on the machines to burn off calories did not do anything other than wear you out.  Meaning - yes, exercise does help with losing weight.  It is 50% the key to losing weight.  However, spending an hour on the treadmill is not going to necessarily negate the cupcake you ate.  Everything in moderation.  That is the key.

I remember when I was on phentermine from a weight doctor.  I lost 120 lbs, but it was not strictly from the drug.  I was pretty strict on my diet (low fat at the time) and I would walk 4 miles a day.  It took me a year to drop the weight, but I did it.  What happened?  Even though I took the medication, there was an incident with someone that caused me to lose my confidence and I just started eating crap food and quit exercising.  So, I started gaining the weight back.  Probably the reason my mom never wanted me to get involved with someone.  I got hurt and started gaining the weight.  She was so upset over that for me.  I had worked so hard and all it took was for someone to be uncaring and I lost it.

I must keep in mind - do the exercise for myself and my health.  Don't overdo it because you had the cupcake.  Enjoy and savor the cupcake, but only eat the one.  :-)

Today's Message from God:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

there is no safety, no security.

Security is an illusion, a grasping of your ego to eternal life. There is no eternal life for the ego or for the body. God given, God taken. The more you try to hide behind the false shield of security, the harder will be the fall. Let go of the illusion, and abide in God's grace.

This is an interesting message.  It makes me contemplate what sort of safety or security is being referred - the safety/security on doing a zip line or remaining in a situation.  In regards to zip line, I would like to think it is smarter for me to feel that if I weighed less, I might take the chance, but right now, no way.  Regarding remaining in a situation, I believe that.  These days, nothing is safe and secure.  There is just so much upheaval in society today.  Companies want to save money and get rid of employees for cheaper contract workers. I hate to say it, but it was something my mom instilled in me.  If you buy cheap, that is exactly what you get - CHEAP.  She never said buy the most expensive, but the point was you get what you paid for.

1 comment: