Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Hmmm...Is the Rest of the Country Not Considered Cultured Enough?

For months, I have been waiting to see the movie, The Imitation Game.  Yes, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor and cute, but this was more because I was interested in the story about how the British created a machine to break the German code.

A few months ago, I was sitting at home watching PBS.  There was a whole series dedicated to "spies".  This particular episode was about how the British broke the German code using the enigma machine.  I learned of Alan Turing and the group that worked on that.  It was really interesting.

So, I saw the trailers for this movie about the same time.  I thought - this is awesome!  I loved movies like this.  I waited for the release date and it was slated for release in the US on November 28th.  Cool - the day after Thanksgiving - that works for me!

After Thanksgiving, I went in search of where and what time I would be able to see the movie.  I checked Fandango and Moviefone - Unbelievable!  The only theaters showing the movie near me:  Los Angeles, CA and New York, NY.  WTF?!

I thought about it for awhile.  Cumberbatch will probably be up for an Oscar and the reviews I have seen are excellent for the movie.  I thought about and figured out that this is going to be like The King's Speech and Gosford Park - wait until after the holidays to open it up to everyone.

My question - WHY?  Why do this?  Why is it that everything is tested on the East and West coast and everything in between is treated as if showing there is beneath them. 

It is just like with musical acts.  Some just do not want to come to Dallas for whatever reason.  It is not like there are no fans here - there are.  Just be smart and select venues where it is reasonable to perform.

However, a movie like this one, I would have gotten dressed up to go to the Anglicka at Legacy to see the movie.  I find it pretty frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment