Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas...

Merry Christmas, everyone!

 This year, I am staying at my home and reflecting upon the past year.  I hope to look at what I have done/accomplished, evaluate areas of improvement, and set new goals for the upcoming year.  Also, I want to sit down and take stock in what is important in life.

Last night, I took a friend I have known for almost 20 years to dinner.  She is experiencing some difficult times and happier that she was my dinner guest than someone else.  That person has some pretty toxic stuff going on and nothing seems to change with her.  As I did last year, I examined her situation and there is not anything I can really do for her.  Yes, I go to dinner with her once a week to hear about her son and work.  I cannot change how things are going for her.  As I did for myself, she needs to search out opportunities for positive change.  Allowing yourself to tumble into a downward spiral is something you do to yourself - others really cannot help you.  I learned this.

Still, I feel sad for her and hope that the upcoming new year is much better for her.  Perhaps, that would lighten her mood as well as encourage her to make some effort to not be so dowdy.

This friend had me in stitches as she discussed the cruise she took with a friend of hers.  (My friend's ride on the cruise was paid for by this friend.)  I felt awful that she had some difficulty with her friend, but it sounded like it was written for a comedy show.

She enjoyed the meal as well as I did.  (Unfortunately, my digestive system has taken issue with that this morning.)  I also made her a pan of fudge.  She loves it and always asks for it during the holidays.  Since it is fairly easy to make, I really cannot deny doing it for her.

As I began thinking about Christmas and presents, I realized that while there are some objects I would love to have, I probably would enjoy experiences more than anything else.  For example, back in the 1980's, Fort Worth had a restaurant called Harrigan's.  The food was always very good and the place was well known for its cheese rolls.  It became tradition in our house to get dressed up for Christmas Eve dinner and head to Harrigan's.  We would order fried zucchini slices with honey mustard dressing, prime rib, baked potato, and a salad.  Never ordered dessert because mom had already had some sort of cake baked at home - either ring of coconut, coca-cola cake, or chocolate candy cake.  

It was a fun tradition.  It was nice to get dressed up and feel like you were truly celebrating.  Harrigans's shutdown sometime in late 1990's or early 2000's.  At that point, my mom had started not feeling well enough to go out for holiday dinner.  I still missed it and had always tried to go back to doing it.

I have tried in some form or fashion since my mother passed away.  In some small way, recapture that feeling of tradition.  My father never seems interested - it costs too much or whatever.  But, this year, I was determined to do something that would really make me feel good.  Otherwise, the holiday is simply lost on me.

The original plan was that I would do this alone.  I was fine with eating alone; I have done that in the past just for some peace and quiet to relax.  However, my sullen friend wanted to join me.  I think when she asked if I was going to dress up and I said I would, it deterred her.  I really felt from her response that she wanted nothing to do with getting dressed up, but requested a 5 PM reservation.  Yesterday morning, she texted me that she was feeling ill and would not make it.

I thought about it and decided to ask my other friend if she wanted to go.  She had wanted to meet up for coffee for something, so why not this and I was up for paying for her meal.  I am so glad it worked out like that.  She dressed up and met me at the restaurant.  Since the place was one of those Brazilian steakhouses, she insisted on having filet mignon.  Every time one of the guys in gauchos showed up with some meat, her response was always "Filet Mignon, please?"  It really got to be hilarious, but she was always very sweet and nice about it.

While talking and really enjoying our meal, we decided that we should make that a tradition between the two of us.  Get dressed up and meet for a nice meal and have a good time.  I could not agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment