Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Cooking and Science Projects...

During my IBM days, I had a fellow co-worker tell me that if you were good in chemistry, you can be an excellent chef.  The co-worker's belief is that both chemistry and cooking required a recipe.  If you could follow the recipe for making something in chemistry, then you can do the same with cooking.

To a certain degree, I have to agree with that.  Many a kitchen is used for experimenting with different ingredients and various dishes.  For me, and others, the kitchen is the laboratory.

I have a fondness for the cinnamon roasted nuts at the hockey games.  A friend got me the recipe for cinnamon glazed nuts, aka Rodeo Nuts.  While I really like the outcome of this recipe, it is not quite the same as the nuts I get from the AAC.  

As I gathered items for munching for New Year's Eve/Day, I came upon a recipe that incorporated not only cinnamon, but nutmeg and clove for the "spiced" nuts.  I thought about it and decided to try adding a bit of the nutmeg and clove to the cinnamon glazed nut recipe.

As always, when making these nuts, the apartment has this wonderful cinnamon aroma.  No need for candles when I prepare this recipe.   The scent of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove fills the apartment.

The finished product tastes a lot like what I get at the hockey game, but I probably need to try a few more times.  Still, it is fun to change up a recipe to achieve something that tastes good.

Next "project" will be to create a different kind of spice nut.  It will have a bit more "spicy" than sweet.  The ingredients include black pepper, cayenne, and cumin.  I figure I should give it a shot and try it out.  

I was never very good at chemistry when I was in high school.  Maybe it was because I was at that awkward sophomore age and everything just was not clicking as it should.  Who knows.  

What I do know, as I got older, I began to gain an interest in cooking.  To be honest, I figured the only things I could cook decently were cakes, rolls, and some main dishes.  When I moved out of my parents home, I realized it was advantageous for me to cook.  It was cost effective as well as keeping me aware of what was in the food I was eating.

I watched a ton of cooking programs and tried various things.  I do remember suggesting doing various dishes when I was at home and my mom did not want me messing up the kitchen.  She did not want me burning things in her pots and pans.  Hey - it happens.

After awhile, I began to realize we all make mistakes.  Sometimes, you have to throw out your mistakes and try again.  With food, I would eat the mistakes to remind myself of what I did not want to do again.

Cooking is a lot like science.  In fact, there is a lot of science to it, if you pay a lot of attention.  As I told Random Cathy one day around Thanksgiving, I loved cooking with cranberries in order to watch/hear them pop.  I felt like the mad scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment