Monday, December 1, 2014

Friendship Breakdowns...

I came across this article today and talk about hitting home - more than once:

When Friendship is Lost... 

Several times in my life, various people have dropped out of my life for one reason or another.  One friend was at least honest with me - she ended our friendship because I was never on time.  I would see her occasionally in the mall and just want to catch up, but she was always very cold.  The last time I saw her, I decided it was time to just drop it.

Another college/work friend dropped out of my life, even when I reached out several times.  I got to the point where I stopped.  She still accepted my LinkedIn contact, but generally speaking, her ex-husband stated that if I had nothing to offer her career-wise, she was letting go of such contacts.  It was not that I was a bad person or did anything wrong, according to him.  This friend was just looking to connect with those who could help her move up in her career.

I felt the author's same feelings of confusion.  You try to reach out and apologize for being an idiot, but the other side never responds.  It is more frustrating because you really do not know what sort of boneheaded thing you did and how you can rectify that issue.

There are others who I wish I were still in touch, but have just had to learn that the friendship is over and that is it.  I will always cherish the fun times and keep fond memories, but to pursue is not a good choice.

As the author states, it is easier to handle when it was a romantic partner.  When it is a friend, one you confide in, it is really hard to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment