Friday, December 26, 2014

Reflecting Upon Christmas...

As I do every holiday, I called various family friends and family.  Most were surprised to hear that I was spending the holiday alone.  I got a lot of how sorry they were, but there was no reason for that.  To be very honest, this was probably the very best Christmas in quite a long while.

Everyone was so surprised over that.  Sure, I could say it sucked when I figured out I had a stomach virus and felt so drained.  Things I wanted to do, I was unable to get done.  There was a lot of good for the day, which is what I focused.

I was a bit late getting dinner started.  Due to the stomach bug I had, I was either in the bathroom or resting on the bed, trying to regain some energy.  I had wanted to get my prime rib roast out to get to room temperature at 10 AM.  I was behind by 2.5 hours.  The process to allow the meat to reach room temperature took 3 hours - even then it was not at "room temperature" according to the digital probe I use for cooking meats.

Unlike the first time I ever cooked a prime rib roast, it only took about 3 hours to cook.  My first time, it took 10 hours!  I think by changing the process as well, that made a huge difference.  The first time, I went the slow cooking route and was promised a 4 hour cook time.  That process was to cook the meat for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.  Next, crank up the heat to 500 degrees and allow to cook for another 10 minutes, then turn off the oven.  You allow the meat to cook while the oven is cooling off.

This time, I followed the traditional cooking process.  Crank the oven to 450 degrees and cook for 20 minutes.  Next, drop the cooking temp to 325 degrees and allow to cook until the thermometer reached 120 degrees.  Take the roast out, cover, and the meat continues to cook to reach 130 degrees for medium rare.  I allowed it to go to 140 degrees, so it would be 150 degrees - i would have a little pink.  

The roast was cooked perfectly and came out wonderfully as well.  Also, it was not 10 PM before I ate, either!  More like 8 PM, which is fine for me.

I baked a ring of coconut cake for dessert, steamed fresh green beans, made rolls from scratch, and baked a potato.  I was quite happy with my meal!  

I enjoyed giving the dogs their presents.  Happy faces and excitement over new toys!  What I miss with not having children, I can see in my dogs' faces.  That part of Christmas I really treasure.

The very selfish part of me enjoyed the ability to do what I wanted to do.  It was not a decision that was made by someone else.  I was able to listen to The Ticket's Christmas Spectacular - Dallas Morning News Electronic Editor, Robert Wilonsky, takes over the airways to play Christmas songs or versions of traditional Christmas songs that you would not normally hear over the regular radio stations.  I heard some funky Christmas songs that made me tap my foot.  Jammed to those Christmas songs with a rock beat.  Was enormously touched by Sarah Jaffe's version of "O Holy Night" at the end of the show.  Definitely something I want to remember to do next year.

After that, Robert Wilonsky did a really cool obscure rock show where he played some deep cut bootlegs and such from the past.  I was particularly rocked when he played Dallas popular 80's band, The Judys, song "High Society."  I had to contact my previous boss, John, and let him know.  He had been a huge fan back during that time.  It was fun!

I took in the peace and quiet to reflect on the past year, make some decisions regarding what to do next year to improve my life, and simply enjoy no drama or guilt.  Granted, I still had that other mess from Monday night hanging over my head.  While I wish I had better answers, the bottom line is that it was all similar to those things we read about in the Bible and history - Mob Mentality.  It has no sense and the purpose is only for hurt.  As for the one that dropped me as a friend, well, I also realized that person had no true loyalty as long as there was something to benefit.  That time had passed and it is time to let go.  Maybe, here is where I learn about forgiveness - I have no ill will towards this person, I do have the knowledge of the true self.  There was a purpose in the friendship and now, it is time to move on.  Just a shame it has to end on an ugly note.

So, now, my plans for the next several days is to clean, clean, and clean.  Clear clutter and gather items to take to GoodWill and donate old clothes.  Take papers to a public shredder to get rid of that clutter.  Make a huge dent and devote January for really "cleaning out and starting fresh."  Not having to deal with work will help make all of that easier to do.  

Today, I will be seeing "The Imitation Game."  This is another movie that I am very excited to see.  In fact, I will work on writing up a review.  I promise, it will not be a review about how dreamy Benedict Cumberbatch is.  I am almost 50 years old - he is adorable, but my interest is in the story of Alan Turing.  Any geek/nerd should want to see this, but I think a little bit of a history buff needs to be in that mix.  Sounds like me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment