Saturday, March 21, 2015

Dealing With Ever Changing Technology...

Last weekend, I decided to sign up for a course at Collin County College.  The courses are taken over the internet, thus no physical presence needed to attend class.  Also, the price was right - $109.00.  Try taking similar course at a 4+ year college/university - that would cost $2000+!  Stinking ridiculous, if you ask me.

I am in the process of clearing out stuff, but I have a lot of computer systems - DUH! I am a computer nerd, so what do you expect.  So, while I go through all of these changes, such as a complete network overhaul, I thought I had better use my new Toshiba laptop I got in 2012 and used for the high school reunion.

I am so used to Windows 7 operating system.  Now, I have Windows 8.1 on this particular laptop and it is at times a struggle to get acclimated with the new environment.  Today, I decided I needed to get the shareware software needed to take the course.  I think I have spent the past 30 minutes trying to figure out where to change the PC locking screen and display to remove the high school pictures I set up to rotate.  Next, the system needs to be updated.  I have not turned the laptop on since the reunion!

Trying to sort through that console to locate everything has been a bit of headache.  I know we all must get used to change, but wow - do we have to change things so drastically?

I thought about the changes I am willing to make with my group.  I had the opportunity to talk to a few people who want to move with the corporate strategy.  They like my ideas and are very encouraging.  My old boss is still stuck with only using the product line he knows and the company is striving to go away from that.  I will admit, it was nice to hear that for everything he proposed, his ideas got shot down by management.  What I had to suggest has been embraced.  Funny how that changed.

The technological world out there has so many great ideas and strategies.  I may not get to "grow it myself", but I want the opportunity to use it and apply it.  I only wish my former boss would get with the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment