Saturday, March 7, 2015

Physical Break...

A couple of weeks ago, when Mother Nature decided that Texas needed some of the arctic blasts as one last hurrah for winter, I found myself in a rather twisted situation.  I had over committed myself.

I had hockey tickets and games I wanted to attend.  I also signed up for a personal trainer to help me with losing weight.  Well, with my financial plans, I have decided to forgo renewing my season tickets.  Hockey will always be there.  

I love my personal trainer, but honestly, something in me is not working.  In the beginning, I was good about watching what I ate, working out, and so forth.  After the agonizing pain in June and subsequent back issues, I am not so keen on exercise and not because I do not care for it - I cannot stand the pain.

Furthermore, when I started, I had a solid ground of having lost 35 lbs on my own.  I was walking and getting my 10,000 steps in each day or close to it.  Also, the trainer and I  were working out in the evenings on Tuesday and Thursday.  As time went by, my trainer became the workout teacher for Body Shred courses at YMCA, which I think is fantastic for her.  It started as one class a week and has expanded to two.  Now, it is more difficult for us to get together.  

We tried doing early afternoons, around lunch.  My schedule at work has become a mess.  Now that I am a development manager, all of these people want me on a call to make decisions.  So, I am the one that usually has to cancel.

It is a bit depressing, so when the winter days hit along with a version release, I asked my trainer to suspend our sessions for two weeks.

Yes, I have been horrible about eating and exercising.  However, I also noticed something today.  My back pain has not been there.  I do have serious tightness in my glutes and quads every morning and I am working to figure out how to stretch out those areas.  It makes walking the dogs a torture session in the mornings.  I have noticed that if I walk a lot, then that pain eases up.  I figure I may need to flip my bed around and see if that helps since it happens in the mornings.

I know I have probably gained a lot of weight and I will just have to accept that.  I feel my body is telling me something - go back to your basics and work on that.  At some point, you can go back to strength training.  Take advantage of the gym membership by attending evening classes such as yoga and body shred.  Get the stretching and exercise you need there as well.  

I believe that will be my plan of attack once my workout contract with the trainer is over.  It is not because of her, but me.  I need to get my head back to where it needs to be.  Otherwise, I am wasting both her and my time.

I am not giving up - simply taking a different approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment