Sunday, March 15, 2015

Making Poor Choices...

Last week, I shared a picture that summed up my health issues.  It basically said "I need to hire someone to knock the bad food out of my hands before I eat it."  Nutshell, so much truth to that.  Unfortunately, I know me and I would end up firing that person after the first knock.

The thing here - I need to own that.  These are my decisions and no one else made them for me and no one certainly forced me to eat those cookies or cake.  

With that being said, food is not "bad".  The amount of food you eat can be bad.  I got tickled with a friend of mine the other day.  He does all of the cooking in his home.  His wife was finally diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I told him to make sure they both attend the class - insurance will pay for it.  So, he was telling me about a meal he prepared the other day and ended with the statement - "We will only have potatoes once a week."  I had to laugh and explained that you can have potatoes, but make sure it is only 1/2 cup and the rest of the meal has a large amount of non-starchy vegetables.  

However, is that a bad idea?  Having that one particular food that you like once a week?  Not really.  I mean, I have to believe in the 80/20 rule.  You follow whatever lifestyle choice you want 80% of the time and 20% of the time, reward yourself with something you enjoy.  This way, you never suffer from cravings or over indulgence.  It really makes a lot of sense.

(Notice I said "lifestyle choice" because I refuse to believe in "diets".  "Diets" do not last.)

This morning, I woke up with the most excruciating tightness in my glutes and quads since June.  Walking the dogs was a real chore and heaven forbid if I tried to stretch that area out before walking the dogs.  Chloe was in right bitchy form this morning.

Also, my blood sugar for the past month has been averaging around 287, which is horrible.  Lack of exercise and poor eating habits have lead to this.  Nutshell, this is of my own doing and no one else's.  I will own this and work on turning around the issue.  Time to go back to drinking the meal replacement shakes and get my steps in each day.  

I know I have been hungry in the past when doing the shakes, but lately, my system is not liking what is going on.  There are days my stomach feels like it is going to explode.  So, maybe it is time to crack down, eat less, and work on being more active.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will finish out my current workout contract with my trainer.  However, I will also start setting up my schedule to visit YMCA for yoga and strength training classes.  Those are free to members and I should take full advantage.

Time to own this.  Also, I need to work on what I started - trying to discover the physical person with less fat.  Who is that person? 

No comments:

Post a Comment