Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Looking For Dietary Help...

A lot of what I cook is what my mother used to cook.  I think we all cook what we are used to eating.  However, I know that those recipes are not carb friendly for someone like me.  I decided it was time to look for somewhere that would provide ideas for someone like me.

I went to one site and checked out their Diabetic plan.  Nutshell, it made no sense.  When I took the education course, the dietitian indicated that we should have 175 g of carbs all day.  The break down was 45, 15, 30, 15, 30, 15 - breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack.  (Not exact, but provides wiggle room for the 175 g).

The site showed that 50% of a meal was comprised of carbs.  Wow!  That is a lot.  Breakfast would be 60-70g of carbs.  I thought - How can this plan be good for a diabetic?  I had joined this site a couple of times in the past and the last time, I asked them about this plan.  The site claims to have registered dietitians on staff, but would not budge on the recommendations from their staff in regards to those with diabetes.

I think the best solution at this point is to look further into sites that are geared for Diabetes.  More importantly, I may schedule an appointment with the dietitian on staff where my PCP is.  It is only $30 to see her and I can discuss the diabetes and ways to make sure I am eating properly.  I may even get some decent recipes out of it.

Diabetic Living has provided me with several recipes.  However, I have been looking for help on losing weight at the same time.  Seems to be that I can lose the weight, but something will trigger me to start gaining.  Perhaps, this can be of some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment