Thursday, November 6, 2014

Accepting Change...

I have been working on slowly subsiding from all of the social media.  Facebook is more difficult, but I have noticed that my latest updates are primarily because I am ticked at smoke alarm situation within my apartment.  However, I work more on my g+, FitBit, and MyFitnessPal applications.

This past month, I got a bit of a slap in the face regarding social media.  The company wants employees to embrace their new "Workplace 2020".  Employees have to set up their profile and such on a Facebook like interface.  There are places to share documents on the web site.  You should blog and so forth.

And here I am trying to reduce the amount of social media...

It gets even better.  In an effort to make sure you are getting yourself acquainted, whoever is in charge has developed monthly challenges.  If you are not making an effort, there is someone sending out updates showing everyone else where you are in making your effort to complete the challenge.

Earlier this year, I started some work in that area.  I set up a profile, but I did not put a photo out there.  I did not fill out completely everything in the profile because people at work does not necessarily need to know every personal aspect of my life.  I put work-related information out there.  I also made requests to follow various people in their networks.  I tried using the document sharing area and it failed miserably for what I needed for it to do.

When I got this challenge and my first notification that I had not gotten my piece satisfactorily done, I was a bit taken back.  Their challenge had not taken into account anything that I had already done.  Furthermore, it indicated I had no network contacts when I did!  

I am not beyond accepting change.  Generally speaking, I try to embrace it unless I have my doubts.  I have tried this methodology and found faults.  I will continue to work on this effort, but the one area where I will probably take a stand is installing their products onto my own personal devices.  I have been provided a company phone and laptop.  I am afraid that by putting those products on my personal items, that gives the company more access into my personal life, which I am trying desperately to keep separate.

I  have my concerns, but with anything, I will give it a shot.  I just need to set my own boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment