Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Numbers Game...

I have designated Saturdays as my "weigh-in" day.  First, the endo suggested either Friday or Saturday because Mondays have such a bad rap.  Second, even health articles suggest any day, but Monday.  Granted, I usually start my shake weeks on a Monday, it is just easier for me to ease into the week drinking two shakes on that day. My whole week could be crazy, so I do not have to worry about preparing breakfast or lunch - just grab a shake and drink it.

Today, I weighed and saw I gained two pounds.  Yes, I felt defeated.  Then, again, should I really feel that way?  For the past three evenings, I have gotten lunch and dinner out and did not pick out anything healthy to eat.  I should not expect anything other than some weight gain.

However, I did notice I was losing on my BMI (Body Mass Index).  For the past month, I have been about 52%.  Today, I was 49.5%.  So, maybe my body is beginning to start adjusting and I just won't see much loss on the weight side.

I have made it to see my personal trainer both times this week.  We met in the afternoon while I swung out of conference calls at work.  It actually felt good to go into the gym in the afternoon.  No one is there.  Hardly anyone at all.  Maybe, on the weekends, that is the time I should go.  I may try that out.

Anyway, by doing what the endo suggested, working out with the machines and some free weights, my back is not hindering me from exercising.  This part is actually fabulous.  Also, I am lifting some pretty heavy weights, according to the trainer.  I am more excited about not being in pain while I work out.  Nothing was more deflating than to go see my trainer, who is a very positive and supportive person, then have to cut short the work out because my lower back was just killing me.  I suppose that indicates I need to locate some sort of back support to help with further free weight exercises.  I do admit, I love working with the machines.  My form is good and you know what, I can generate a good sweat while working out with those just as much as when I was doing the free weights.

I need to be sensible about this whole deal.  I am only a month into making changes.  I need to improve on my eating habits.  That will help a lot.  Also, it will help my pocketbook.  I do feel a great accomplishment when I have prepared a meal and it tastes great, but I know that it is good for me as well.

Having been a bit down in the dumps the past few days, due to stressful situations, I think the best thing for me is to make some comfort food.  Tomorrow, I am going to cook a roast with potatoes, onions, celery, and mushrooms.  

Tomorrow is also Chloe's birthday, so I need to pick up some mini-cupcakes to share with the dogs.  We won't eat the whole thing, but I feel good about doing something special for the dogs on her birthday.  It is a shame I do not know Bo's birthday - I may just pick a day and let it be his day.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment