Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Religious Freedoms and Oppression...

I have never been a very religious person.  I do believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins and he is our savior.  In a very generic sense, I am Christian.  Honestly, I am not one particular denomination - I am just me.  I believe in everyone's right to worship whatever religion desired.  I do not believe in having my rights infringed by another party's belief.

When I saw a video from a British reporter regarding her home town and how the Muslims there were attempting to over take the town with their beliefs, I was rather surprised.  Great Britain does allow for religious freedoms for their people and to have this one group deciding to enforce their beliefs on others because they feel infringed.

So, this Sunday, while I started cooking dinner, I watched part of 60 Minutes.  Again, a reporter was talking to a British Muslim citizen accused of recruiting others to fight with ISIS in Syria.  It seemed to me, yet again, another example of a group of people imposing their beliefs upon others, rather than allowing the freedom of choice.

I pondered awhile if such a thing could happen in the US.  For all of the different radical factions, there is one thing that does stand out to me:  Freedom.  That was the reason why the Pilgrims came to America - to flee religious persecution.  Throughout the centuries, this country has remain held fast to the belief of freedom - the right to choose.  While someone may try to bribe their way into making changes, no one wants their freedom/right to choose to be taken away from them.

The 60 Minute report can be found here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/recruiting-for-isis-under-fire-blake-shelton/

The first report I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKMI1wV0ps

 

No comments:

Post a Comment