Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Fall Clean Out...

When the cold front came through on Friday evening, it made my whole week.  Now, the "Texas heat" has left for the season and the cool, crisp air is flowing through the environment.  I could not be happier. 

Unfortunately, very early yesterday morning, the smoke alarms started going off in various rooms.  It makes no real sense to me why that happens.  It is not the "chirping" that indicates a low battery.  This is the full blown alarm sound.  

Needless to say, I ended up not getting a whole lot of sleep yesterday morning.  It finally stopped around 7 AM.  When I took the dogs out for their walk, I had to battle with Bo on coming back home.  He simply was not having any part of going back home.  I ended up winning the "tug of war", which is seriously embarrassing.  To add insult to injury, there is a tenant with a set of chimes that sound very similar to the smoke alarms going off on the very path I take to get the dogs home.  That is truly annoying and makes the situation with Bo worse.

As I pondered what I really needed to do, I decided it was time for the "Fall Clean Out".  Take this month and really work on the apartment and start throwing out stuff I have not used/need.  Get the place clear of the dust and such.  I took Bo for a ride over to Lowes as his official start for fall.  (The dogs love going for rides and when it is cool like it is now, they really like to people watch as I am in the grocery store).  The main purpose of the Lowes' visit was to get cleaning materials as well as a supply of batteries for these blasted smoke alarms.  As I walked past several smoke alarms in the store, I had the temptation to buy them and ask a former co-worker to come into the apartment and disable the ones I have in favor of using these.  It is pretty apparent that the system is faulty and heaven knows, I have gone to management several times about it and all that gets done is battery change out.

Anyway, I really could not do much cleaning yesterday as I had to get ready for meeting some friends for dinner.  However, my plan is to sit with my planner and mark each week for a specific room for attention.  Sure, spending a week on one room seems like overkill, but my point is to really clear everything out and clean it.  By the end of the month, I should be able to just spend a day cleaning the apartment by doing smaller clean ups.

Basically, I am tired of not being able to find anything.  Also, I have let this situation go since my mother had been very ill in 2008.  It has just gotten progressively worse.  Furthermore, I have so many multiples of things that I cannot keep my head straight.  Most of that was due to spending time at my parents house while caring for my mom and I only got to come back to the apartment on Saturdays to get mail and pay rent.  

So, putting my best foot forward, I am going to get this place cleaned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment