Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Story Leftout...

Everyone has their ideal image of themselves.  What we wish we could look like to others and so forth.  Ever seen those weight-loss commercials on TV - how they show you the "before" and "after"?  How your life will be so exciting and such after your weight loss.  The problem is - those commericals are missing one thing - the reality of having dropped a massive amount of weight.

No one tells you the real story.  Sure, you are healthier and your quality of life will increase.  However, no one tells you about the excess skin.  Basically, when one is very overweight, such as myself, and loses a large amount of weight, the skin is probably stretched too far to contract.  Therefore, that person is left with a large amount of excess skin.

At the beginning of the year, I was working hard to drop weight and this whole excess skin business hit.  I remembered my mother telling me that it would probably happen.  As I look at my body in the mirror, I know it to be true.

The thing the weight loss centers always tell you is that insurance will pay for your surgery to lose weight.  What they do not tell you is that once you lose the weight and you have excess skin, insurance companies will not pay for the surgery to remove the excess skin.

I saw this video today and it made me cry.  I sympathized with this kid, but I was so proud of what he had accomplished.  It made me sad because if he can do it, why can't I?  Why can't I get past all of these images in my head and just be happy with myself?  That is where the real issue is.  I wish that people would continue to talk about this because in the end, it will help more than hurt.  It will encourage more people to learn to be happy with themselves and not find themselves more damaged when weight loss does not turn out as promised.

Better yet, if you choose weight loss surgery, remember - you need to be happy with you and in your own skin.  Even if you lose weight the old fashion way, by eating healthy and exercise, that business of the excess skin will still be there.  

I am never kidding with myself - I will never look like some model or actress.  I am me.  I have got to fight every day to feel comfortable with myself.  This will be a daily battle - whether or not I have excess weight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/13/160-pound-weight-loss-insecurity_n_6153308.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

No comments:

Post a Comment