Friday, July 3, 2015

Getting the Right Frame of Mind for a New Experience?

Past several days, I have noticed that when I finish a meal, I feel so bloated that I could explode.  The other night, dinner with Random Cathy, I would have normally finished off the reuben sandwich I ordered.  I only managed to eat half of the sandwich and all of the fries.  (Okay - I probably should have selected something other than fries to eat, but this was a "pub"!)  I noticed that when I have great conversation, I eat slower and fill up faster.

As I have gleaned over Facebook, I see the postings about clean eating.  I have a doctor's appointment at the end of this month.  Needless to say, I have done a lousy job on my eating and exercise habits.  The exercise piece is not getting done because I have so much back pain.  I hope to sort that out soon, but in the meantime, I will try to work on walking more.  My job requires that I sit at my desk for most of the day.  I think I will try standing or walking in place while sitting on conference calls.  I am multitasking, but making sure I pay attention to the call.  For me, that is most important - making sure I pay attention to what is being said.  However, just sitting there is not helping me health wise.

Last night, I joined the "Biggest Loser" challenge on MyFitnessPal.  Honestly, I am not competitive.  The only thing to gain here for me is to lose weight and possibly get some new ideas and concepts.  I do not care about winning because if I only lost 1 lb, then I won.

Let's be honest.  "Dieting" does not work.  It is only temporary and you are spending your time starving yourself.  End game, you may lose the weight, but you will return back to your previous eating habits.  Making the lifestyle change, that will stick, but you have to have the right frame of mind.

For example, fried chicken has always been a favorite food of mine.  I love it with mashed potatoes, fried okra, cole slaw, green beans, and/or corn (not all veggies at one time).  However, over time, I have gotten to the point where fried chicken does not taste very good to me.  I prefer either grilled, roasted, or baked chicken, which is better for me.  Every once in awhile, I will break down and have fried chicken.  Once I do, I am reminded why I do not like it.

Actually, to be honest, most fried foods leave me feeling like I have this huge weight at the bottom of my stomach.  Not a nice feeling to have, so I turn to grilled, broiled, or baked foods.

My biggest foe is bread.  I love freshly baked bread.  It is one of the foods that I can hardly resist.  That is no joke.  I am getting better about bread.  I will buy multi-grain bread for sandwiches and such that is low in calories and high in fiber.  If I order take-out, I ask that the bread not be included - if it is not there, I do not eat it.  Last, if I get the bread, I have two carb hounds that love it, so the dogs usually end up eating most rolls and breads.  I know it is bad for them, so I try to limit it.  However, they REALLY love bread.

So, starting on Sunday, I will work harder on eating more "clean" foods as well as re-evaluate my portion size.  Also, curtail the sodas to maybe one a day, if one every couple of days.  Luckily, I am prone to pick up diet sodas than sugar filled sodas, but I really need to drink more water and tea.

Seems that now is the time to start making healthier habits and work on sticking to them.  Now, that does not mean killing everything altogether.  It means eating less breads, cookies, candy, pies, cakes, and so forth.  Save those for special occasions. 

Going to make these changes stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment