Sunday, July 5, 2015

Relief for Cramping Foot, Shin, or Calves...

I cannot speak for many women, but it is a monthly thing with me.  Sometimes before I start that monthly business, I get these severe foot cramps.  They hurt like hell, too.  Most of the time, the crap starts at the top of my foot and goes up into my shin.  You know the poop has hit the fan when the crap starts in the right foot/leg, subsides, then starts in the left foot/leg.  Generally speaking, the muscle cramps continue for about 20 minutes and longer if the switch takes place.

During my last blood work, I noticed my BUN levels were quite high - 42, in fact.  I asked my doctor about that, but she never replied.  So, I did some research and found that it could be that I am dehydrated.  

I have been working on drinking more water.  However, the fact of the matter is that I may be missing many nutrients in the process, such as potassium, magnesium, and electrolytes.  I had bought some Crazy Water and other water products claiming to provide necessary nutrients and electrolytes.  Those bottles of water are pretty expensive.

A few Saturdays ago, I was walking the dogs and listening to the "Train Station" show on the Ticket.  The host mentioned using a product called "Nuun" to gain back necessary electrolytes and nutrients.  Basically, eschewing the Gatorade and other sports drinks as they are so sugary.  Plain water does not contain the electrolytes you need, so this tablet would supply that.

A few days later, I noticed a friend on FB mentioned using it.  I asked her about it and she had very positive things to say about the product.  In the conversation thread, another friend of hers chimed in with positive things to say about Nuun.

Yesterday, I picked up some Nuun from Kroger.  I got the lemon-lime and triple berry flavors.  Nuun is about $2.00 per package and each package contains 4 tablets.  Since there are so few tablets, I plan on drinking water with one tablet every other day.  I want to see if that helps to relieve the muscle cramps.

I know many people suggest pickle juice and what have you.  I took potassium and magnesium vitamins, but every month, still dealing with the foot/leg cramps.  It is just annoying, especially if you are already having sleeping issues.

So, here is to giving this a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment