Saturday, July 4, 2015

That Time of The Year - Tour de France!

With all of the 4th of July excitement, I almost forgot that the Tour de France would start today.  Granted, I have not really kept up with the various cyclists, but a few years ago, I got hooked watching the competition.

This year, the tour starts in Holland and that is exciting.  The competition always ends with the riders cycling to Paris and towards the Eiffel Tower.  There are several competitions within the main competition.  I had an understanding about the various shirts when I started watching, but I will need to refresh myself.

I have always wanted to visit France.  Tour de France gives you these beautiful views of the various areas of France.  Not only is the race exciting, but the programming always shows such amazing sights.  

I know that, for many cycling enthusiasts, Lance Armstrong and others have ruined their enjoyment of the competition with the drugging.  I am looking past that and simply watch in awe with how graceful and quick these riders are on their bikes.  Sometimes, I actually think about getting a bike and trying to ride it around for exercise.  It is something I may put thought into doing depending on how well I get myself back on track.  It should be a reward for getting into better habits and weight loss.  Getting a bike right now is not feasible financially.

Another reason I really like the Tour is because I am such a huge Kraftwerk fan.  In 1983-84, the band had a single out called "Tour de France" and I fell in love with it and the video.  In 2003, the band released an album with the 80's version of the song along with other versions and new music dedicated to the competition.  Furthermore, the song was featured for that year's competition.

So, before I head out for my grocery shopping tasks, I will sit down, enjoy my breakfast, and watch this first stage of the Tour de France.

 

3 comments:

  1. The eclectic range of your interests never ceases to surprise me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eclectic range of your interests never ceases to surprise me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in a lot of things. Whether I do them or understand them well, that is part of the adventure!

    ReplyDelete