Sunday, November 8, 2015

Just Understanding Life with Diabetes...

Sometimes, managing diabetes can be a real headache.  This is not a "whine" or "pity party" session.  This is simply my stating some facts, so that you get the idea.  I know I am not alone and believe me, people younger and older than myself deal with this day to day as well.  For some, it is a better or a worse situation.

Today, I took my blood sugar this morning and it was 269.  That is high.  When you have been fasting/sleeping at night, a normal person's blood sugar will be <100.  I ate dinner at 7:30 PM and ended up falling asleep at 10:00 PM last night.  I took my oral meds, but forgot to take my extended release insulin.  Shame on me - I know.  I had all of this medication schedule under control because I used to take my extended release insulin in the morning with Victoza and the quick acting insulin before eating breakfast.  With a change in the extended release insulin, my endo and educator want me to take it at night.  Will have to set up a reminder on my phone to keep me in check.

The trend is that my blood sugar would always be high in the morning, but it was never that high.  Morning blood sugar numbers would be about 150-170.  Still high, but throughout the day, I would have normal numbers ranging between 120-145.  

My morning blood sugar issue is due to my liver having playtime while I am sleeping.  That is the best way I can describe it.  My liver produces more sugar into my system as I am sleeping, so I have to find a way to slow that active beastie.  Usually, I have to eat something before I go to bed that has protein in it.  I would usually eat half a roast beef sandwich (1 slice of Sara Lee 45 and Delightful bread, mustard, and 3 slices of roast beef).  That helps, but most nights, I just want to fall asleep, so there is my challenge.

One thing I have found that has helped my overall A1C (measurement of the sugar in my blood system over a 90 day period), is drinking a LOT of water.  I do enjoy a diet soft drink from time to time, but overall, I have to drink at least 128 oz of water.  That helps not only my blood sugar levels, but also my kidneys.  If I were to have just a normal day, which means I drink the recommended 8 glasses of water per day and have some unsweet iced tea and/or coffee, that makes my kidney numbers go up.  Actually, I have no definite proof of that.  My numbers were rather skewed due to having taken pain relievers when my blood sample was taken.  Still, I have to worry about my kidney function.

I would say I wear socks probably 95% of the time.  I get tired of it, especially at night, but I have to wear socks or my toes will ache so badly that I cannot sleep.  I know I have a certain amount of neuropathy in my toes and hands.  A year or so ago, I had a problem with my left hand what they call "trigger finger".  The doctor injected a steroid in my hand and within a month, my hand was better.  Last year, my right hand started doing the same thing, but I refused to get the shot again.  It is much better now.  I can make a fist and the trigger is not popping my finger.

The major frustration for me is juggling the numbers.  Last night, before I got dinner, I took my blood sugar and it was 136.  I went to pick up my meal and when I got home and measured it again, it was 186.  I never ate a thing in the trip to get dinner...and you do not have to in order for your blood sugar to rise.  It can rise due to stress, anxiety, fear, or what have you.  

I reunited with a fabulous friend and her husband over Facebook.  I told her I had Type 2 diabetes and she said that her husband had Type 1.  One time that they came to visit Dallas/Fort Worth, there was a huge gathering and her husband came to sit with me.  He told me that his wife had told him about my diagnosis.  He told me not to worry about the numbers.  The reason is that you take your blood sugar at one moment and it is one value, then 5 minute later, the value is completely different.  The body is always doing something, so the blood sugar numbers go up and down always.  I always try to keep that piece of advice in mind.  Yes - the number matters in controlling your diabetes, but I cannot get so wrapped up in the numbers that I am over testing myself.  Good Lord, if I did that, I would spend a fortune in test strips - those buggars are NOT cheap.

Last weekend, at Random Cathy's RDFL (Rent's Due, Free Lunch), there is a young girl who will eat her meal, then inject herself with insulin.  I would say she is Type 1, but there are so many questions I would love to ask, but I keep to myself.  I even do not mind that she is so open about taking her insulin.  It is a part of your life, now.  You just do it.

I get frustrated at the friends I have who have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  I feel that I am expected to educate them and they can get the education by attending the courses that are provided.  Nothing I despise more than going to dinner with one friend and she tells the wait staff that we are diabetic.  While I am happy that she is able to take oral medications to keep her A1C down, I really resented her uneducated remark that I had "full blown diabetes" because I was taking insulin shots.  In shock, I asked her what she meant - she tells me that because I take insulin shots, I have type 1 and she has type 2 because she takes oral meds.  I was completely offended and explained to her how she needed to take the education courses that she claimed she had no time to take.  Her response was that she could learn more from reading about it.  Apparently, she forgot to read the section on what is Type 1 vs Type 2.

There is another friend who will ping me with questions.  She hate needles - who loves them, right?  She was complaining about the number of pokes she was having to endure.  I gave her the "pull up your big girl pants" remark regarding how children much younger than her were having to endure that.  If they can do it, so can you.  That was how one friend from high school put it to me when I first started doing injections.  I won't lie - I hate them as much as the next person, but it is a part of life.  I do it and move along.  I have to and crying about it won't change anything.  It could be worse - what my mother and other cancer patients have to go through.  I would rather have this.  (I will always hate what my mother had to endure, especially towards the end of her life.  However, I have seen some really bad stuff and injecting yourself with insulin is the easy part).

Every day is a challenge, but that is the same for everyone, whether you have diabetes or not.  None of us know what challenges the others are facing, but it always helps to just be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment