Sunday, November 1, 2015

Coffee and Me...

Over the years, I have drank coffee in some form or fashion.  I enjoy lattes, iced coffee, and frappuccinos.  When I was a young girl, I would watch my mom and her friends drink coffee at the kitchen table while they talked and either had a piece of coffee cake, pound cake, pie, or some other pastry that my mother had made.  On occasion, I would ask for a cup of coffee.  I knew I did not like the bitter taste of the black coffee by itself - I needed cream and sugar.  Mom always made her coffee just right.

For a long time, I would not drink coffee until the mid to late 90's when Starbucks came into the fold.  Actually, what started it for me was Border's Books and Music.  I absolutely loved that place because it was more than "just a bookstore."  Border's had so many really cool events - live bands, poetry readings, speakers, and so forth. 

I would go in and peruse the music or computer book sections.  I was always drawn in by the wonderful aroma of the coffee brewing.  It was truly intoxicating.  Also, it gave off that beatnik feel, which I had always loved.  It had encouraged me to read a bit of Jack Kerouac.

When I moved into my first apartment, my mother gave me her small two cup coffee maker.  The funny thing is that the what would piss her off about the coffeemaker pisses me off.  You cannot pull the carafe out without water or coffee going everywhere.  It is a HUGE mess.  

I enjoy getting lattes at Starbucks, but for me lattes are like getting the coffee my mom used to make.  Messing with the coffeemaker is a huge pain.  I have put serious thought into using it for having coffee to take with me to work, but what is the point of the huge mess associated with it.

I have started considering getting a Keurig.  Here is where I have to do some research:  Seems that the 2.0 does not support all K-cups, especially the reusable ones.  That sucks as I have coffee here that I could use up before buying a bunch of K-cup coffee ones.

So, it seems I have some work ahead of me in the next few months.  Considering Christmas is just around the corner, I can start looking forward to seeing specials on the coffee maker.

What will I do with the current coffeemaker?  I do not think my mom would get upset, but I am taking it and the George Foreman grill she passed down to me to GoodWill.  Both work, but are massive headaches, especially the grill.  Clean up on that thing scares me because I cannot easily remove the grill pans.  Oddly enough, the same reason my mom quit using it - difficult to clean and took up too much space.  Perhaps, someone else will find these items a treasure and will enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment