Friday, August 21, 2015

Be Careful of Taking OTC Meds Before Blood Work...

For the past month, I thought I was getting enough water in my system.  Well, 64 oz of water does not cut it for me.  I need to drink a little over a gallon of water or my body is dehydrated.  

From what I have read on the internet and calculated, I need to drink at least 152 oz of water.  That is a LOT of water.  I probably got about 96 oz drank Wednesday, then another 32 to 48 oz drank before walking into the doctor's office for another round of blood work.  I also did not take any medication before getting my blood drawn.

After reading possible causes for high BUN and creatinine values, I would be dehydrated or some OTC pain reliever, ibuprofen and such, can skew the values.  So, I made sure I did not take any Motrin, Tylenol, or Bayer.  Basically, I wanted this blood work done with no medications in my system.

Today, the doctor indicated that the values were still high, but greatly improved to the point that they are almost normal.  

What a relief!  I told her I was so worried, but yet, very confused as I had witnessed my mother going through kidney failure when she was in her final stages.  What was coming out of my system was nowhere near what I had seen.  However, it was great to know that my kidneys are functioning properly.

Hoping to get some rest from the stress of this week - that scare was enough to wear me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment