Saturday, August 22, 2015

Life Choices - You Have to Own Them...

Since my diagnosis for type 2 diabetes, I have learned that I have to manage my disease.  I must own my choices and not rely upon anyone for that.  You simply cannot tell everyone you have that you have type 2 diabetes and cannot have sugar, then turn around and eat sweets and such.  That adds to the misconception that eating too much sweets is what makes people diabetic.  It is not.

A person with type 2 diabetes has a situation where the insulin in the system cannot act quickly enough on the amount of sugar in the system.  It could be that there is not enough insulin being created by the pancreas.  Type 1 is where no insulin is created at all.

The other night, I had dinner out with a friend.  The waiter put down some bread at our table and I cannot remember what he said, but the friend snottily said something about bread being bad for diabetics.

Oh, dear God!

Here we go again - the expectation that when we walk into a restaurant, we must announce to the whole world that we are diabetic.  Come on!  It is not the waiter's responsibility to make our food choices - we have to own that.

When ordering, she orders the smothered steak with crispy onion rings.  I ordered a chicken dish with stuffed spinach and artichokes.  I barely ate much because I had so much water the day before and that day.  I was actually quite proud of myself because I was FULL!  Still, I have learned that I am not going to expect someone to make my food choices for me and I sure as hell am not going to apologize for being picky at a restaurant.  I think the key is to ask nicely for substitutions and go about your merry way.

So, those of you with special food needs or whatever, do what you need to do.  Order what you want and not what others expect.  That is how change works.

No comments:

Post a Comment