Saturday, August 22, 2015

Concern Over the Senior Dog...

Last weekend, Chloe had a couple of vomiting spells.  This afternoon, it seems that we are on our way to some more tummy issues at the other end.  When I picked her up, I really realized that she is not has heavy as she once was.

I have a check up set up for her on Tuesday afternoon.  Still, that does not ease my own troubled mind.  Chloe will turn 15 this year.  That is quite old in doggy years and we have been through a lot together.  

Last year, I realized I really do not have much time left with her.  When I do spend time with her, it is usually with me laying on my bed and her snuggled next to me.  I rub her belly, kiss her, and tell her how much she means to me.  As with Bo, I would probably end up on the streets after spending every dollar to care for either dog.

She has many spry days where you think she was still a younger dog.  I know the truth, though.  We are both living on borrowed time.  Like me, she is on 5 to 6 different medications.  We are both getting slower in our old age.  

The special part of Chloe is she is still a huge part of my mom.  My mom was the one who looked after her, cared for her, and trained her.  My mom had a great deal of love for Chloe, even though Chloe always wanted to be with my father.  Mom was always there for her.  

When my parents needed to go out of town or mom had to spend time in the hospital, my mom depended upon me to care for Chloe.  It was never a task I resented - Chloe and I had our own special bond.  I loved her and she trusted me.  

Before my mother passed away, she trusted me with Chloe's care.  I took her home and would take her, along with Bo, back to see my mom every weekend or time I had to get back to help care for mom.  When mom passed away, I made sure that Chloe got the opportunity to be near mom before the funeral home took mom.  It broke my heart when they took mom out of the house as Chloe barked and cried.  I knew the feeling.

I have not always been the best "momma", but I tried to do as best as I could for both dogs.  So now, I cry every so often because I know the time is coming when mom will come back for Chloe.  Therefore, every time Chloe does not feel well or whatever, I get emotionally sick.  I am never going to be ready for "it" and the one thing, I do not want her passing away without me being there.  I do not want her to pass away alone and scared.  

So, maybe I am too emotional, but I cannot help that.  I am just built that way.  For right now, I will keep a close eye on my favorite girl and make sure she is eating, drinking, and feeling well.  That is my main concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment