Saturday, August 15, 2015

Underwhelmed or Just a Really Bad Food Day...

In general, my day yesterday was just more than I could handle.  Basically, I was pretty angry about some things happening at work and I thought the best thing for me to do was walk away before I said or did something I would regret.  This happens rarely these days, but when I recognize the feelings, it is always best to just drop it all.

However, the one thing that really took me by surprise was how badly things went when trying new restaurants for lunch and dinner.  Holy cow - I was amazed at how hardly anything I had was really tasty.

I won't mention names, but for lunch, went to a smoke house for BBQ with a co-worker.  As we stood in line, I began to hear the truth.  The woman in front of me told me that all of the meats were wonderful, but the vegetable selection was not worth the price.  I tried the potato salad, cole slaw, and deviled eggs (one of the items I miss most that my mom would make).  Needless to say, the meat was good.  However, I could not stomach the potato salad or cole slaw.  Both tasted as if the BBQ sauce was tossed in with the other ingredients.  I was not impressed.  The devil eggs were okay, but for the price I paid for 3 halves, that was too expensive.

Overall, I did not eat much - most was thrown in the trash and that disgusted me.  I hate to waste money and that lot made me sick to my stomach.  Nutshell, I would go back to get meat, but nothing else.

Last night, I met some friends to hand them over the souvenir items from the group ball game a week ago.  We thought we would check out a new restaurant that just opened.  Apparently, the alcoholic beverages were a bit pricey.  I had wanted to get one, but decided to pass - just put the headaches from work behind me and enjoy the company.

We got seated in about 35 minutes - the place was pretty well packed and the waiting time was 30-45 minutes.  I ordered water because I wanted it more than iced tea and I knew I had not drank enough for the day.  I liked the fact that a bottle of water was placed at the table for refills, which I did take advantage.

One friend ordered the oyster appetizer and I got the potstickers.  I did not try the oysters, but apparently, they were overcooked and too much stuff on top of them to be tasty.  The potstickers were cold and not very exciting.  So that was disappointing.

The main course I ordered was the pecan parmesan crusted rainbow trout with steamed broccoli and the mixed veggies.  My friends ordered the cilantro shrimp salad and cerviche.  Again, my dish was tepid, not really hot.  The mixed veggies that were offered were basically nothing.  The friend eating the cerviche was not impressed with that dish either.  His partner's salad looked really good.

Overall, the service was slow, but I have to account that to the fact that it was Friday night.  However, when it came to paying the bill, it took the wait person no time to return back the credit card and slip to sign.  I was not impressed, but stated I would like to go back during the week when there was no crowd to see if the food was better.  I figure, you have to give a restaurant a few tries before you pretty much end it.  Of course, there are some places where the food is just so awful that you never go back.

After dinner, I drove over to "Whole Paycheck" and picked up some cut up fruit, hummus, and some bread.  Luckily, that did not break my piggy bank, but I definitely got items that tasted better than the meals I had yesterday.  

Today, I am cooking dinner, so that will be much better in every which way.  However, you have to go through bad days like this to appreciate what you prepare for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment