Sunday, August 2, 2015

Recent Experiences - Taking Items to Be Shredded and New Restaurant

Yesterday, I made plans to head over to my parents' house and sort out what was left and determine what I really wanted.  Before doing that, I had two boxes of papers that needed to be shredded.  Two big boxes of paper - UGH.  The whole thought of picking them up, carrying them upstairs, then spending hours on my shredder was not appealing.  Furthermore, I did not want to burn out the shredder.

A several years ago, a friend of mine told me about cleaning her "office."  There were so many papers and she had faced the same issue as I did.  Too many paper and the time spent shredding was huge.  She looked up where she could take a box to have those papers shredded.  The process cost her $25, but she said it was the best $25 she had ever spent.  It cleared out all of the papers, she had more time to spend doing other things, and she was able to start fresh by making sure all important papers coming into her home was shredded in a timely fashion.

So, I looked up the local public shredder service, DFW Shredding.  Every Saturday, the company has their mobile shredders available for the public to come and shred their documents.  The first box is $10 and every subsequent box is $5.  If you can fill one of those plastic garbage containers one gets from their city to place trash for pick up, that is $55.  Honestly, to have this service shred my papers for that price, it is totally worth it.

It was amazing!  I just had to drive up, park, opened the trunk, the gentleman took out the boxes and emptied them into that garbage container.  He rolled the container over to the mobile shredder, then had it lifted into the shredder.  Within 2 minutes, all of my old checks and etc was gone.  You can watch all of your stuff being shredded on a monitor.  I was blown away.  I am definitely going back in the following weekends to get more documents and such shredded.  It actually took a huge load off my mind and I think it will really help with the clutter collection.

While I was at my parents' house,  I spent time clearing out what was left in the utility/bathroom.  I found some jewelry I used to wear when I was in high school that I thought was lost forever.  I made sure that came home with me.  Also, I was making sure I put what I wanted in boxes for the next time I can move it to the apartment or my father's storage shed.  

It was so hot in the house.  My dogs were not happy with the situation.  Granted, they loved going in and out of the house, but it was so stinking hot inside, that they would pant heavily.  I made sure that they had cool water to drink.  At this point, I have decided that when I return, the dogs will stay in the apartment.  It is cooler and safer for everyone concerned.

When I left, my back and hip were really killing me.  To compound matters, I could not cool down for anything and I had two dogs in the back seat letting me know that they were hot.  Luckily, the a/c in the Tucson works, but it takes awhile for all of us to cool down.  Nutshell, I was in no condition to come home and cook.  When we all arrived home, I ran the dogs out for a quick walk to get whatever business that they needed to do done.  After that, I took a shower.

I did not want to cook, but I did not want pizza, chicken, steak or even Italian food.  I decided that I had really enjoyed the food from Fadi's the other day that I would try the new Mediterranean restaurant called Cedars Mediterranean Mezza and Grill.  

Basically, it is like a Mediterranean all you can eat buffet.  There are specialized platters, Kabobs, Falafel, Pita Sandwiches, and etc.  However, the Vegetarian Feast is their specialty - the all you can eat bar, so to speak.  I chose the Cedars Special, which is access to the Vegetarian feast and one meat entree.  I got the chicken kabob.  I also ordered some falafel balls.  I had falafel when I used to attend vegetarian cooking classes with a co-worker at Whole Foods.  Falafel with guacamole - it was really good.

Over all, the food was really good and I made the mistake of ordering too much.  I was at a new restaurant and was curious about the food.  I chose a lot of really nice veggies from the Vegetarian feast.  I skipped the hummus because I wanted to try other items, such as the almond spinach, vegetarian couscous, and almond basmati rice (small spoonful of this).

The falafel was really good.  I liked the mixture of it and the tahini sauce.  The interesting thing was that sliced pickles were on the plate and that was good as well.

I made the mistake of putting my number on the table and walking away to get my vegetables.  The wait staff had picked up the number and wiped down the table.  It lead to confusion when delivering the falafel and kabob.  A mistake I won't make again.  I just hate carrying around unnecessary garbage while picking out food from a buffet.

I will probably go back again in the future.  I have found that I like Mediterranean food.  I really like the cabbage salad at Fadi's.  I need to go there and try the kabob.  Maybe that is what I need to do - ask for the cabbage salad, vegetarian couscous, and a kabob.  I think that would be sufficient for me.  However, I walked out of Cedars so stuffed that the idea I had about getting a single scoop of ice cream left my mind.  

Just to point out, I only visited the buffet one time.  I did not go back for seconds.  I had ordered too much food and had no desire to have more for sure.

Today, time to prepare myself for getting back to the meal replacement shakes and curb the amount of food I buy for the next two weeks.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment