Thursday, December 31, 2015

Diabetes: Riding the Highs...

Dealing with Diabetes is a daily - no - hourly challenge.  When I meet someone who has diabetes, I understand their struggle.  Some have a difficult time and others are able to manage well.  One thing is always true - one has to ride the highs and lows of their blood sugar. 

Holiday seasons are hell.  As I say that, it is really my job to stay up on my blood sugar and manage it.  This year, I had to sit back and realize that I had more going on than just the holiday season that was rocking my blood sugar to heights.  Since September, I was taking several different pain medications for my back and knee.  I have never been a person who took a lot of aspirin, Tylenol, Aleeve, or even Advil.  Basically, if I had a pain, I would take the OTC of choice for that day and I was done.  Never touched the bottle for over a year.  Now, I have almost emptied the Tylenol Arthritis 100 count bottle.  That is unheard of for me.

Next, I have had a change in my diabetes medications.  I no longer take Kombiglyze based upon the insurance company.  I started taking Januduetta, but my PCP wanted me off of that due to the kidney levels being high.  Now, I am taking Trajenta once a day.  Also, no longer taking Lantus, but Toujeo - 70 units every night.  I am really horrible about taking this medication at night before bed.  I figure I probably will try to work this in with when I take my final medications at dinner time.  At least, I will have gotten my meds.

Lastly, right now, hormones are on the rage.  Every month, I will go through a week and half of high numbers because hormones.  I have been fighting this battle since I found out I had diabetes in 2006.  I never can win.  I can get close and for me, I am good with that, but overall, I hit those highs and ride them out as best as I can.  

At this time, I know my numbers are also high from getting the cortisone shot in the knee.  However, I will bear with the high numbers as it has made such a HUGE difference with my knee.  I am still pretty stiff, but I can work that piece out with the work outs that the doctor printed out for me.  A lot of that is due to stretching and building up those muscles.  Depending on how well I do, I may contact my personal trainer on information regarding more stretches or invest in yoga classes.  Right now, I need to be kind to my poor knee and give it the time it needs before I go that route.  I just feel so terribly grateful not to have that pain that it brings tears to my eyes.  My life had been such hell for the past 4 months.

So, sometimes, you just have to ride with the highs and accept what will be will be, but continue working on bringing down the number as best as you can.  My hope is that as I get better physically, that will help me lower my numbers and get back to normal.  I have to be positive - high or low - this too will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment