Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Realizations Upon Observations...

Growing up, my mother was the sole person cleaning the house.  Now, that I am much older, I realize why she used to get so angry with me.  I was, and still am, a horrible house keeper.  I admit that straight up - I suck at cleaning...or am I too OCD?

When I was told to clean my room, I would proudly ask my mother to check to get her approval.  It was never clean enough.  I remember a time when I had dusted the furniture and she ran her finger across it and there was dust.  How frustrating that was as I had just dusted minutes before her entering my bedroom.  Furthermore, it took me a long time to get things cleaned.  No matter how hard I tried, it always took a lot of time making sure every nook and cranny was properly cleaned.

Some friends have offered to help me clean as they have no connection to the clutter, so for them to toss something is easy.  Problem there is that they may mistake something important to me as "junk" and toss it.  Hire someone to do a "deep clean".  While that is a possibility, I still need to do major clean up on my own.

The other day, while driving to meet a friend for lunch, I realized something from visiting so many homes over the past month.  Many of my friends have a maid that comes to their homes to clean.  I mean, I get it is pretty easy to keep clean when you have someone that comes in either weekly or bi-weekly to clean your home.  I also get how tired one is to have to deal with cleaning after work or wanting to do stuff on the weekends.  

My problem is probably a head case one.  I feel I should have the strength and energy to clean my apartment.  Then, again, the place went under disarray for about 5 years - First, I was never home when my mother was dying and I have either double or triple the underwear and such because I was basically back home living there.  Second, work had me so busy that I never had time for myself, let alone getting to do any cleaning.  Third, when I had time, I would get some physical set back and my week would be shot.

So, life has changed a bit in the past year.  I moved to another position where I can relax a bit.  I have had physical issues where I cannot stand quite as much.  Hoping that with some shots that will help my knee, that will alleviate that issue for the upcoming year.  My goal is to get the major clutter out of the apartment and get some dusting done.  I hope to clear my "office" and get back to using it as such.  However, I am very cautious on how that will go.

My main objective is to do the following:

Clear the clutter and so forth.
Do a good bit of cleaning
Contact a good maid service to do a thorough deep clean
Make it in my budget for a maid to clean the apartment every other week

Once the place is cleaned, it may be easier for me to keep my head above water and I will feel a good sense of calm in my life.  Heaven knows I have lived with chaos long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment