Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Finding the holes in my eating pattern...

Yesterday, I had a really tough time getting my blood sugar down to anything even remotely sensible.  This morning, my blood sugar started off at 319.  Not great, but definitely better than 400+.

I fixed breakfast and noted that rather than eating Wonder Whole Wheat bread, I had the Wonder Smart White bread.  The carbs in this bread should not spike my blood sugar too much.  I also had Egg Beaters, two turkey sausage patties, and 8 oz. of skim milk.  My blood sugar two hours later was 318.  I can live with that - I did not spike too terribly high and it confirmed that the bread yesterday very possibly spiked my blood sugar.  Good information to have!

For lunch, I went to Paradise Bakery and got their small Asian Chicken Salad, a cup of vegetable soup, and a cup of fruit.  Sounds healthy, right?  Well, two hours later, I tested my blood sugar.  It was 396 - holy crap!!!  Man, I really love this meal and it always makes me feel full, so that I do not eat as much.  Blasted - need to rethink this from the results.

One hour after that test, I got a very interesting result.  My blood sugar had fallen down to 309.  I don't mind that too much - it is quite a drop.  Two more hours after the last test, my blood sugar had gone down to 266.  When I got home and finished walking the dogs, my blood sugar was 230.

I decided to have Boston Market chicken, garlicky spinach, and green beans for dinner.  Before I started eating, I tested my blood sugar and it was 206.  Two hours after eating dinner, my blood sugar had increased to 219 - still not a bad change.

The whole exercise provides so much really good information:

How does food affect my blood sugar?
Which foods really spike my blood sugar?
How long does it take for my blood sugar to lower after a huge spike?
What other physical changes affect my blood sugar?

I keep a daily planner/scheduler to log what foods I eat, how much, and my blood sugar and pressure numbers.  Over the weekend, my plan is to put this information into a spreadsheet and get an idea of the "big picture".

I will continue doing the blood testing through out the day for the rest of the week.  This will help me determine what I should eat or how to plan for an incident where I cannot eat properly.  Believe me, I do not like sticking my finger every 2 hours through out the day, but the numbers are very telling and I find it really helpful.  I think it might be a good idea to do that one week a month and pull those numbers together.  It is a correcting behavior.  Hoping tomorrow, my blood sugar is below 170!

No comments:

Post a Comment