Saturday, January 4, 2014

Food Logging...

Every time I attempt to lose weight, I found that I did well when I logged the food I put in my mouth.  I also know it is a difficult habit to start because it can be so frustrating.  I am working with the FitBit web site and trying to use their system to log the food I eat through out the day. 

I have my FitBit account set up for some short term goals.  For example, first weight loss goal is 10 lbs.  Activity goal is to reach 10,000 steps per day.  I also use the account to give me a better view of my other health related measurements, such as how much sleep I am getting, blood sugar, blood pressure, and heart rate.

In the beginning, the information is not going to be great.  That is fine because that is my starting point.  We all have to have a starting point to understand what needs to be tweaked.  No matter how good we are doing, there is always something that can be improved.  For me, I know it is my activity and food consumption.  As I increase the activity and level off my food consumption, the other numbers will reflect those changes.

Last night, I went back to my Kindle and started back to reading on Walking Your Butt Off!  Go from Sedentary to Slim in 12 Weeks.  I saw this in Prevention magazine last year and got the book.  I like Prevention magazine and a lot of the information there is great.  Going back to my statement about starting points, this book will help guide me with a 12 week plan on getting my butt in gear and walking. 

When I lost a lot of weight back in 1996, I used to walk every night.  Most of the time, it was after eating dinner because I wanted to get that walk done before it got too late.  However, I made it an obsession - I had to get out there and walk.  Sure, I was taking weight loss medication, but the walking helped in more ways for getting the weight off. 

Unfortunately, since I did not have a trainer or a "plan", I would fall into the "plateau" and not know where to go from there.  Having this plan that has been tested with other people, it should help me find ways to get over the "plateaus."  Heaven only knows how horrible it is to reach a plateau and bang your head against the wall trying to sort out WHY am I just sitting at this weight - or even worse - I GAINED WEIGHT?!  HOW!!!

I am excited to start doing this.  There is something that feels really good about all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment